Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

silencer ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 09:51 AM
zach_deerefan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silencer ring

what is the piece of plactic between the two elbows on the stock air intake beforee the turbo? is this baffle also called the siclencer ring?

Old 03-26-2006, 01:40 PM
06LiftedRam
Default RE: silencer ring

The piece you are refering to is not called the silencer ring. I am certain it is a well thought out invention to help cut down on turbo noise. How much??? I can't say.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:16 AM
zach_deerefan

thanks took it out and sounds the same.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is the intake baffel, you wont hear your turbo untill you get that out. you can take it out by dremeling off the end of the tube on both sides, but still leaving enough to get the rubber boots back on. once you have both end cut off take a hammer and knock it out.

replace it all and you'll hear a jet underneath the hood

Old 03-27-2006, 01:29 PM
brampage

also in the tubing leading to the turbo is pieces to make it quieter..... take off the bending ends and then I think its easy to take out...... you might have to get a whole new hose though

Old 03-30-2006, 03:43 PM
steved
Rookie

There are also directional vanes in the lower elbow at the turbo...mine was half cocked in the tube and partially blocking the inlet...

I took it out.

steved

Old 03-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Flent
Rookie

Well I removed mine and from start to finish with removing the baffleing inside the black tube it only took me 20 mins. The silencer ring poped out in like 2 seconds. I did not cut the ends of the baffle tube, I just took a hammer and screw driver and knocked out the baffleing. Punch it right down the middle of the X.

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU GET ANY LEFTOVER PLASTIC OUT OF THAT THING. you do not want your turbo to find it...

I left the directional veins in the bottom elbow by the inlet on mine. I was afraid to remove it and have the hose colapse. I know the chances of that are slim but that is how my luck is

As for the improved sound.. WOW I can now hear my turbo at lower rpm's and at 75mph she is screaming. Then when you punch it at 75 it goes into this pitch that would make a dog howl.

I give this 2 thumbs up..

Old 03-31-2006, 11:23 AM
steved
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Flent

I left the directional veins in the bottom elbow by the inlet on mine. I was afraid to remove it and have the hose colapse. I know the chances of that are slim but that is how my luck is

I doubt it would collapse...been running without one for well over 1.5 years...was your's sitting in the elbow correctly when you had it apart?? Mine had gotten wedged out of position and was blocking about 1/2 the diameter of the pipe.

steved

Old 04-05-2006, 03:47 AM
jw_hendry
Rookie

I just removed the baffles on my intake. Flint was right, all I did to take that black X out was punch it with a hammer and screw driver right down the middle.

As for that dirrectional baffle in the bottom elbow, mine was in there nice and straight. No problem pulling that out.

I'm on my was out right now to tackle that little silencer ring. I just put a new air filter in today, so tomorrow she should really sing.

Quick Reply: silencer ring