Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Clutch is slipping in 6th GEAR now

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:05 AM
kingdog
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch is slipping in 6th GEAR now

Hello all,
Well with my upgrades, to my 02 CTD 6 Speed, I think that I now need to do my clutch, this sucks beacuase my service guys did not warn me that I was that close in power to have to do this.
Here is what happens, in 6th gear and moderate to heavy throttle, IT SLIPS , it is that simple, do you think it is just the clutch. I have not even hooked up to one of my trailers yet, I can only imagine what will happen then.

Here is what has been done to the truck
AFE cold air intake
EZ TOW chip ( 70 hp Max )
4 " pipe from turbo back ( single)
F.A.S.S ( had to replace stock lift pump )
and just done to it
New VP44 ( as a result of the lift pump going) and one size up on the injetors ( so I am told )
it is since the last two that my clutch is slipping. does anyone have any idea has to how much HP and tourque it is puting out now at the wheels???
any help would be appreciated as the wife is getting a little up set with me spending her cruise $$$$

sorry but here is one more, what do you think that the max turbo boost is I should go to, also I hear some guys using lots of RPM, what do you recommend for max, and max cruising RPM???

Ralph

Old 04-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clutch is slipping in 6th GEAR now

if your clutch is still the stocker then I would say yes, it is going from the mods you have done.

as far as power output, that I dont know, I'm not good at telling how much more juice one is pushing from mods. but what I can say is it might be time for a new clutch.

if you want a good one that will be hard to slip check out south bend clutch

as far as boost, your turbo should be gated to a max of 21 pounds. . .I think. theres no need to go higher than that. now for the RPM's, cruise at what speed gives you the best mileage, but just to let you know, these engines can turn 2500 rpm all day under load and ask for more

Old 04-07-2006, 11:18 AM
kingdog
Professional

Drew
Thanks for the quick response, interesting on my turbo , I can and have gone past 30 , I am not sure how big of a problem that is or can be, but should I be the one that controlls that with throttle use, ( not abuse) , I will check into the South Bend clutch. Thanks for the info on the RPM, I am ( ok used to be ) a truck driver and turning RPM that high was just un-heard of but I have heard from others that 2500 is no big deal for these CTD so I guess I will run it up if I have to then.

Thanks Ralph

Old 04-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove a Freight Shaker for a little bit before I got the job I have now. yes, the RPM's are alot lower and the goodie band was only about 500 RPM wide. but you have to imagine the engine is 14.7 liter with a rather long stroke. the ISBe we have doesnt have nearly the stroke so the RPM's can be a bit higher. this is the same reason why the Ford and Chevy rev as high as they do (2500-3000 is not uncommon for normal driveing).

Old 04-11-2006, 12:40 PM
kingdog
Professional

Ok well, I have done it, I ordered a SouthBend Clutch kit ( thanks for the advice Drew) although my guy's that work on my truck seemed shocked that my stock clutch was slipping, I ordered one anway, because it sure would slip, and I did not even get on to it, so when this new MU1947 Con OFE , is installed I will be pulling about 8000lbs for about 350 miles so I will see if it holds or not. My guys don't think that my truck has all the power that it does, but when I do the math on the upgrades, I come up with quite a bit more then they do !!
EZ Tow chip 80 HP
AFE C.O.I 40 HP
4" exhaust 24 HP
Injectors 40 HP

I know my number's are off a little but still close ( these are the numbers I was told by the guy's when I installed it all anyway ), at 164 over stock of 245 HP = close to 400, so that is why I chose that clutch.

Ralph

Old 04-24-2006, 05:34 AM
Possum1
Rookie

KingDog be careful when u start to back up with that trailer as u can se from my sig i have a ofe clutch and it will snap your neck if your not expecting it and it might be tricky to back up for a while till you get use to it but it want slip in high gear though i just towed a monsters load with mine the CAT scale ticket had gross weight at 38,240 and pulled great but it was a bit tricky to stop but you ask about boost earlyer with your edge box 30 psi sounds about right with some higher setings i have hit 37psi with my tst but in my towing settings ranges from 28 to 32 psi

Quick Reply: Clutch is slipping in 6th GEAR now