Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Prices?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 03:40 AM
cumminsboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Prices?

Reno area im seeing 3.09 t o 3.39 for diesel

Old 04-28-2006, 05:59 PM
dieselram
Captain

Can I run the off-road diesel in my truck? I know its not really legal, but will it damage the engine? Its $0.20 cheaper than street diesel in Alabama.

P.S. Its still $2.90-2.95 in my FL area

Old 04-28-2006, 06:27 PM
josh2500
Rookie

I run the off road diesel in my truck alot. I actually get a little better miliage with it. We own a marina in mississippi on the coast and i just get a couple gallons here and there out of our diesel tanks. I think its really the same diesel just with less sulfur. The reason its cheaper is you just dont have to pay the highway taxes on it.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 AM
tcarothers
Rookie

Josh, the off-road actually has a bit more sulfer in it than on-road and is dyed red, Something to think about though, while red fuel is cheaper, i just might cost you down the road, 1 gallon of red will contaminate 100 gallons of on road to the point that i will fain anny DOT dip test. The laws and fines vary from state to state, but here in Idaho, if I get caught with it in my tank, I will be fined up to $10,000. The going fine here localy has been around $3,000, so at a savings of $.20 a gallon, well you do the math. For me, it just isn't worth taking the chance. Troy

Old 04-30-2006, 04:16 AM
josh2500
Rookie

Yea i know what your saying. Nobody around here will check you though and i only use it every once in a while to tip off my tank if im in the back of the yard. Here in southern MS it is 30 cents cheaper. I guess its just a way of saving a little money. What is in it that can harm your motor?

Old 04-30-2006, 04:08 PM
tcarothers
Rookie

There is nothing in red fuel that will hurt your motor, in fact red has a higher sulfer content, so that is a good thing, more lubrication for your lift pump and injectior pump. It will smoke a little more, but most who do any mods will smoke a little also. If you can get away with it, run it.
Troy

Old 04-30-2006, 10:13 PM
DonG
Veteran

My brother in law was recently fined $4,000 for running red farm fuel in his pickup. The higher fuel prices get the more the DOT checks. He was actually inside a restraunt when the DOT pulled into the parking lot and began checking. You might not get caught, but 1 time will wipe out what you would have saved running it in a lifetime. Don't run it. If you do someone else is taking up your slack, and I'm sorry to say I hope you get caught if you do.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:37 AM
DodgeBro

I don't use off road deisel, but what legal status does the DOT have to check private vehicles in a private parking lot without your consent? In that scenario of the restaurant parking lot it sounds like they would have to have a search warrant.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:24 PM
CmdrNutz

Running red dye can also make you subject to the IRS for tax fraud. They will run you through the mill if they want to. Not worth it at all.

Quick Reply: Fuel Prices?