Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bully Dog or TST

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:45 PM
dan0617
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bully Dog or TST

I currently have a '04 Hemi 4X4 quad cab. I'm steppin up to an '05 or '06 2500 soon, and I'm going with the CTD and automatic. I'm going to buy a simple yet powerful power addition and a cold air intake right away, but that's about it for upgrades. I want to get all the quarter mile speed and pulling power I can get, but not tear up the driveline. Would I be better to go with a TST, or would a Bully Dog Pup be plenty for me since I'm not going to upgrade the tranny? Also, is the Bully Dog Pup programming the same as the Bully Dog Triple Dog for the CTD, or are there other differences. Seems like the Triple Dog is only for the guys who jump from Dodge to Ford to Chevy, as it programs all 3. I'm not going to need that, already tried them all and I'm stayin with Dodge!!

Old 04-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bully Dog or TST

the TST on 3/3 or lower will be fine on the 48RE tranny. go to 9/9 on a stock tranny and in short order you will break the input and output shafts of the tranny, blow the turbo, and possably fry a valve, or 10.

however, the TST gives you room to grow. toss on a phat-shaft 66 turbo and you can use 4/4 or even jump to 5/4. this is the nice thing about the TST, it is something you can grow into, plus it doesnt increase the rail pressure which can kill the CP3 injector pump or the injectors.

the bully dog is a good start for a stock truck and if you do happen to do upgarades you can better utilize the power at hand.

for a beginer, the bullydog might be better, but the TST has the capability of realy pushing some HUGE power.

another box you can look at is the Quadzilla box, these are very good boxes and thier support line is quite possably the best there is, another box is the VanAaken C3.2 and the Edge box w/atitude with the outlook monitor

edit: steer clear of banks electronics, they dont put out as much power as they advertize, however, if you need a turbo, interooler, or other hardware, banks is some good stuff

Old 04-23-2006, 02:13 PM
ugotit
Professional

We sell alot of programmers the power pup is one my favorites easy to install the performance is unbelievable . If you install just the cold air and bully dog you will be very happy . Don't forget some gauges just for safety .

sales@strippermotorsports.com
www.strippermotorsports.com
866-708-7744

Old 04-23-2006, 07:24 PM
dan0617
Rookie

Thanks for the help Drew and ugotit. Sounds like I'll be going bully dog, as I am saving and plan on going all out on the truck, and have just enough to buy the bully dog and the cai. Won't be able to afford to beef up the tranny, and it sounds like the bully dog will push the stock tranny to the edge. Is it true that a bully dog and cai alone can take a 325 horse, 610 lb\ft stock CTD up to approximately 450 horse and 950 lb\ft of torque? I am assuming that is rated at the flywheel, not the rear wheel dyno?

Old 04-23-2006, 10:52 PM
ugotit
Professional

If you need any price checking on any cai or programmers i will be glad to help .

sales@strippermotorsports.com

Old 04-23-2006, 11:38 PM
JeepHauler

I just tried a free download of the Power Pup from Bully Dog. Of course, I was hauling the Jeep to Utah to play on the rocks. Since this was my first haul with the new truck, I can't tell how much it helped, since I have nothing to compare to. I do know that I hardly noticed the Jeep and trailer behind me, even up over the pass. At one point, I noticed 18.1 mpg on the trip (flat ground). On the way back, about 14 mpg.

You can try the Bully Dog Power Pup program free at any place that sells them. They'll download the medium setting program, and it will automatically delete itself after a certain period (I think 8 driving hours).

Old 04-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Possum1
Rookie

well the bully is just a progamer and tst is a box that is a hole lot more indepth on istalation but with the more expensive controlers(a must in my opion if your going to run more power and tow) that has the egt's, boost,and tranny temp gages built in and u can set limits on how high you temps get before the tst automaticly defuels to keep from hurting anything and like drew said you can grow into it (once you start adding power to these trucks its adictive you just cant stop)

Old 04-24-2006, 02:34 PM
dieselram
Captain

I have the power pup on my truck and its nice if you keep the power level low. I used to run the 90hp setting, but the black smoke below 2K was annoying and a waste of fuel. I use the 50hp tow setting right now, still deciding if I'm going to keep it on the stock side or upgrade to a bigger turbo. The only real downside of the Power Pup is the lack of on-the-fly adjustability.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:01 PM
RSW1977

Ok I have just bought the bullydog powerpup , I believe if you buy the outlook monitor you can have adjustability at your fingure tips ,I had the Edge ez and that just wasnt enough ,good luck il let you know next week how it works . RSW

Old 10-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Local Yokel
Professional

I have the Triple Dog on mine. 99% time its set on tow/performance, the other 1% its set in the Crazy Larry setting. Tow/Performance is good enough to hang or beat most stock trucks out there. Set it on Larry and it will hang with some sports cars. I raced my truck one time down the 1/4 when it was brand new (yeah dumb I know) and spinning all 4 wheels off the line in 4x4 it ran a 14.41@95. Most of the Mustangs at the track that day were running in the mid to low 14's also so not bad considering. If I were to do it again i would go with the Triple Dog/outlook monitor combo .....

Quick Reply: Bully Dog or TST