Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

47re trans Torque Converter lock/unlock

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Abom79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post, but I just wanted to add that my truck has been having the converter lock-up/non lock up problem for a while now. I was just about to plan on taking it to a shop when today i found this thread. I did what was said with the foil and tape on the said ground wire and it fixed the problem!! Im almost speechless. Im soo happy this was such a cheap and easy fix to what I thought was going to be a major repair. Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by Abom79; 02-27-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
jetjarv
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
mostly noticable in OD if fells like an extra gear and basically locks the engine to the drive shaft eliminating converter slip, if you are crusing at hwy speeds it should be locked and if you rool into the throttle, it will release and the rpm's will raise slightly, but nowhere near like a down shift
sorry, newbie question, i just got the truck.

if you could quickly clarify this issue with an answer to this 1 question.

so when you are cruising down the highway it should or should not slip a little when you push the throttle down?

Old 08-14-2011, 04:54 PM
AHammerAndDuctTape

I simply tied the black/tan wire up to the alternator bracket to hold it off the alternator. Problem seems to be solved - shifts beautifully. I guess that's why they put those holes in the bracket

Old 09-09-2011, 04:43 PM
freedomintheskies

You sir, are a gentleman! Thank you for sharing your great find!

I have a 2000 Ram 2500/ Cummins truck with about 65000miles on it and just started having these same issues where the truck would go into OD/lockup at the normal 50mph and if you floated between 48 and 53mph, it would jump out of lockup at a rate of once per 1-2 seconds, until you got to 54+mph.
I followed the electro static discharge (shielding) instructions and relocated the harness to the top of the alternator bracket. Test drove and guess what????

SMILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THanks again!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 PM
vdubchub

I felt a little silly wrapping the foil on there, as a trained tech, but I'm smiling now problem solved. Thank you for the awesome tip.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:25 PM
idaho2500

I went through hell with my 98 dodge 24v So after the noise filter one week later it came back? I added grounds all over the truck it help but did not do it.
The real fix was $100 reflash with the upgraded program to my computer they have a new program that can handle a wider range of voltages that my alternatore was producing its been 6 mo and lots of miles problem free.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'm having the same problem but I'm not sure... 2000 2500 Cummins

My issue will happen anywhere from about 35-60. The RPM jump about 100 and then back down in the blink of an eye. Sometimes it will do it a lot, other times it won't do it at all. If I hover in the 40 mpg range, it does it quit frequently.
I just picked up this truck 3 days ago. Everything else feels fine. The battery posts have quite a bit of corrosion. I'm sure this is contributing to the problem.

Am I correct to assume the issue I have is this lock-unlock problem?

EDIT: On a hunch I decided to go grab some renoylds wrap and electrical tape and did this idea. Also zip-tied the cable to the bracket off the alternator. I covered about 10" or so and taped around it. Test drove on the highway right at 55, made sure I went down the same roads it did i before and varied my speed like it usually did. On the short drive, it did NOT "skip". We will see tomorrow if it does it again. If not I hope I solved this little issue. Otherwise this truck is everything I've ever dreamed about and more.

Last edited by CSCustomCars; 09-26-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 AM
idaho2500

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
I think I'm having the same problem but I'm not sure... 2000 2500 Cummins

My issue will happen anywhere from about 35-60. The RPM jump about 100 and then back down in the blink of an eye. Sometimes it will do it a lot, other times it won't do it at all. If I hover in the 40 mpg range, it does it quit frequently.
I just picked up this truck 3 days ago. Everything else feels fine. The battery posts have quite a bit of corrosion. I'm sure this is contributing to the problem.

Am I correct to assume the issue I have is this lock-unlock problem?

EDIT: On a hunch I decided to go grab some renoylds wrap and electrical tape and did this idea. Also zip-tied the cable to the bracket off the alternator. I covered about 10" or so and taped around it. Test drove on the highway right at 55, made sure I went down the same roads it did i before and varied my speed like it usually did. On the short drive, it did NOT "skip". We will see tomorrow if it does it again. If not I hope I solved this little issue. Otherwise this truck is everything I've ever dreamed about and more.
YAA thats what mine was doing but a computer reflash fixed all! They have a update to filter the high or low voltages that your alternator is making. Like I said I went through HELL Grounds, Filters, Transmission & Dealers.....ETC Going on 6 mo problem free.
My problem got worse when I put on the head lifgts, AC, and crues control set at 40-55 RPM would jump all over the place.
Just a FYI didnt read it all but read enough to throw caution to the wind of wy fix!

Old 10-02-2011, 06:00 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah a week later it's still not doing it, so I think it fixed it for now.
If I have to I'll have the dealer re-program if the issue comes back, but for now, i'm all good.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Thor Hoefer
Default In out of lock up

My alternator wire goes to my positive side on the passengers side 03 3500 diesel. please help 208-659-1361

Quick Reply: 47re trans Torque Converter lock/unlock