Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

47re trans Torque Converter lock/unlock

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:44 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47re trans Torque Converter lock/unlock

Here's some info I came across from another source that might prove valuable to folks with the 47re auto trans. I can't vouch for this personally, but I'm going to do the mod as it certainly won't hurt anything.
Enjoy, Glenn

According to an article on TDR i found today when i was visiting the site, the use of tin foil can help solve the TC lock/unlock problems. Its on the homepage for tdr but heres what you do....

I have found the cause of the lock-unlock problem to be a frequency-induced electrical noise into the ground circuit of the battery which causes a fluctuating voltage signal from the TPS to the PCM.

The Solution: Locate the 10-gauge ground wire that runs from the negative post of the passenger battery to the back of the alternator. This wire is often tan with a black stripe.

Starting at the back of the alternator loom where the tan/black striped wire heads for the battery, wrap the wire with a piece of tin foil about 4" - 6" in length. Wrap the tin foil with black electrical tape to secure it in place.

Road test the vehicle. If the problem is corrected, smile.

Tony Garcin
Dunrite Converters

I tried this out today because i was having the lockup problem sometimes while driving and it really did work. I drove the truck be for i did anything to it and felt it lock up and unlock. I came back got out the foil, tape and a few min later i was back driving again. Now it locks up just fine and doesn't feel like its stumbling like it did before. I just thought i'd pass this info on since there always seems to be a thread about lock up problems on here.

One thing i did different is there is a wire coming off the battery on the P-side that grounds tothe fender, I covered it, the one that is blk/tan that goes towards the alt, and the portions of uncovered 10 ga wire that come off the battery ground that have connectors on them. I'll try to post a pic of what i did.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:34 PM
MrChip
Default RE: 47re trans Torque Converter lock/unlock

Hey Glenn this is true we have know about this prob for about 5 years now I use a noise filter at the PCM to fix cost about 50 bucks. -

Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 PM
June bug

I had the same symptoms, tried it as you have indicated and no more issues... so far Thanks. And yes I am smiling

Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 PM
cfd303
Professional

Can you define the t/c lock and unlock. At what point will this be felt or sensed?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cfd303
Can you define the t/c lock and unlock. At what point will this be felt or sensed?
mostly noticable in OD if fells like an extra gear and basically locks the engine to the drive shaft eliminating converter slip, if you are crusing at hwy speeds it should be locked and if you rool into the throttle, it will release and the rpm's will raise slightly, but nowhere near like a down shift

Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 PM
June bug

When my 47RE was doing this, It would do it at any speed as long as the converter was locked, (35 mph) minimum. It happen so fast, like a blink of an eye sometimes. Would feel like the someone hit the truck from behind all of a sudden. Other times it would just disengage and slip like there was nothing there at speeds upward of 60 mph. My negative battery post connections were loose on the passanger side as bad as I hate to admitt neglect.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:25 PM
cfd303
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
mostly noticable in OD if fells like an extra gear and basically locks the engine to the drive shaft eliminating converter slip, if you are crusing at hwy speeds it should be locked and if you rool into the throttle, it will release and the rpm's will raise slightly, but nowhere near like a down shift
Thanks. I did notice when I took the truck for a test drive when it shifted into Overdrive, WOW, it took off. It made a smooth transition into Overdrive.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2010, 02:39 PM
June bug

so how is your truck doing?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM
cfd303
Professional

Originally Posted by June bug
so how is your truck doing?

Some people are thinking its fuel related. I am also having an issue w/bad fuel mileage (i wrote a thread about that).

Here is the update from that.

I had it into a Performac Diesel shop last week and they thought the same thing until they did the diag and everything is coming back within the parameters. But they did notice excessive smoke. What they are thinking is either the last owner replaced the injectors with larger ones or they are one or more on the way out. I talked to the prior owner and he said he did nothing to the engine. So that is leading me to the injectors. BUMMER

Looks like i am going have to save up ALOT of money. And get them replaced.

Thanks to all. Once I have it done i will update on what they find.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:17 PM
cfd303
Professional

Just wanted to add one more thing. Had the truck in yesterday to a Dodge dealer and had the oil changed and the tranmsission flushed with new filter and oil so they claim everything looked good in the trans oil. No debris, so im hoping thats a good sign?

Quick Reply: 47re trans Torque Converter lock/unlock