Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:32 PM
diegom6
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member

Hello guys, I just signed in this board, first off let me introduce me a lil bit. I'm Diego and my father and I own a dealer from Dodge Chrysler and Jeep. So I'm not new at the brand at all, but to the new Dodge CTD for sure since we are selling them over here recently.

I have experience with turbos and superchargers so I know the basics. But I would like to know if you know any good mod, but maybe a "homemade" & cheap modd to make lil faster the new RAM CTD with the automatic trans. I know cheap mods aren't good or just doesn't exist. I'm of those who know that , to get serious power, money goes first. But this is my situation. I don't own any, but we have a demo truck and I'm thinking to bring to the drag races sometime just to have some fun and make some market since is a new model in the market of my country.

My questions are:

- What is the time for a stock CTD 2006 auto trans int he 1/4mile?

-What cheap or any good mod is possible to make it peppier without spending much money (since is the demo truck from the official representative dealer for Chrysler over here)

-Can I adjust or add a boost controller to this engine and somehow enrich the mixture with more diesel with out buying a chip? I know diesels won't get any more power if only is increased the boost and not diesel.

here is the web page of my shopp if someone wants to see it (it's in spanish though ) www.automotrizsanborja.com

Thanks,

-Diego

Old 05-01-2006, 06:40 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: New member

welcome to DF!

forget about your questions... (Joke) what about the e30 in your sig? am I to believe it has a 3.0 in it? that thing must scream! I just sold my '95 M3 about a month ago and miss it....

as for performance options for the diesel... Intake & exhaust are probably the cheepest things to do 1st. you can get an intake kit for under $300 (IIRC) and the exhaust, 4" straight thru muffler setup should help out alot...

Old 05-01-2006, 06:59 PM
josh2500
Rookie

There are lots of boxs out there that make tons of power for 5 hundred or so dollars. There are also plug in programmers that make good power for a couple hundred dollars. Normally the more fuel you give the motor the more boost it is going to make. Alot of boost is no good without fuel to go with it plus the stock turbo is only good for about 45 psi max. I think edmunds said the stock quarter mile time for a 2wd is around 17.5 seconds. Drew made made a post a couple of weeks ago "I modded my MAP sensor last night". You should chech that out.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 PM
diegom6
Amateur

Thanks Steve, it's originally a 325is and I dropped a custom turbo setup, later I decided to stroke it using probably your previous M3 crank making it fit in my block and also the rods with custom forged piston and many other things like aslo oringed head.

here is a link if you want to see the current status... http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526144

By the way, I'm using the big brother of the Holset HX35 used in these rams, the HX50

Hi Steve, that's what I want to hear, about the MAP modd, I have the scanner (DRB III & Star Scan) to check the values and also a technician with high skills in electronic in the shopp. I would like to know a lil more about that MAP sensor modification. Do you have the link? Seems I can't find it

thanks

Old 05-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you want to know about a MAP mod.

right now I'm the test bunny of some ideas I'm tossing around(electronics Tech and 11 years diesel mech for the Army). and the easiest thing I have come up with has been a 33 ohm resistor jumpers across the 5v input and the boost sence wire of the MAP sensor.

gains in performance, slightly less laggy turbo, the butt dyno doesnt say anything though. however the most impressive part has been the .5mpg increase in fuel economy. a 30 ohm resistor can be used, but the EGT's get screamin hot. the truck is a bit quicker but nothing I would risk the higher EGT's to have for all out cheap performance.

the down side of this mod is that it is a static mod and not dynamic like the performance boxes you can buy.

starting in 03 with the HPCR engines, the two areas that give you the highest performance gains are timeing and duration of the injector. increaseing pressure to a point is ok, but get too high, too quick and you will crack injector houseings and blow the CP3.

if you want these trucks to run good, get a cheap towing 50hp box, and increase the line pressures of the tranny to make the shifts firmer. any more box and you run the risk to killing the torque converter if your running at the track full throttle all the time.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:35 PM
diegom6
Amateur

Hi Drwe, this is one I thought, using a resistor but I didn't know of any grade to use. Witht hsi lil upgrade or mod, sopously is spraying lil more diesel in each cycle, hence I'm getting more power or do I need to compensate it with more boost? If so, how much more boost?

What about hte Apexi AFC II ? I have one in my SUpercharged Jeep? It could work since can be wired to the MAP right?

Thanks,

-Diego

Old 05-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Drew
Professional

well. . .the thing about it is the performance gains arent all that great. they are there, but not what a good 50 horse towing box can give.

yes, a bit more diesel is being sprayed into the cylinder, but I am unsure of what is effected, duration or pressure. I'm suspectiing a little bit of both since the sensor is seeing a little more boost. but there is no need to try and stuff more air into the cylinder, the turbo will take care of that.

Ive used the Apexi AFC's in the past on turbo'd taco's, Ive got a T3 turbo for my toyota, but havent put it on since I just bought a house and dont have the funds to play that much[&:]

the Apexi AFC II will only give one aspect of making power on these trucks, you also need to a way to better control the injectors for timeing and duration. Yes it will Boost fool the computer and it will dump more fuel, but add in a little more agressive timeing and hold the injectors open longer and you'll need to buy rear tires every other month or so.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:46 PM
diegom6
Amateur

ORIGINAL: Drew

well. . .the thing about it is the performance gains arent all that great. they are there, but not what a good 50 horse towing box can give.

yes, a bit more diesel is being sprayed into the cylinder, but I am unsure of what is effected, duration or pressure. I'm suspectiing a little bit of both since the sensor is seeing a little more boost. but there is no need to try and stuff more air into the cylinder, the turbo will take care of that.

Ive used the Apexi AFC's in the past on turbo'd taco's, Ive got a T3 turbo for my toyota, but havent put it on since I just bought a house and dont have the funds to play that much[&:]

the Apexi AFC II will only give one aspect of making power on these trucks, you also need to a way to better control the injectors for timeing and duration. Yes it will Boost fool the computer and it will dump more fuel, but add in a little more agressive timeing and hold the injectors open longer and you'll need to buy rear tires every other month or so.

Hmmm, that's interesting, trying to make some moves with the Apexi, the thing is that I would like to bring the Dodge to these drag races we have recently (legal) to show it(since is new to the market) but the truck isn't mine, I'm a dealer of Chrysler , Dodge & Jeep, but the official dealer is the one who has the "TEST DRIVE" Dodge, so they can give it to me for a weekend and monday have to get it back. That's why I'm looking for lil mods , mostly cheap mods that work and could put all back in stock form after the race since I would like to give a better show and proove their "325 HP" power hehe....

I might wire quickly the Apexi II in this truck, and add some lil boost.....but not sure how much. I have also the pyrometer but seems there is no any port in the exhaust to make it fit with out drilling.

A/F gauge maybe?

Old 05-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Drew
Professional

an A/F gage is kinda tricky on a diesel.

your best bet is going to be to get a quadzilla box, edge, bullydog, Van Aaken, or for the best bang a TST.

all these boxes can be removed and leave no visable trace of something being there

Old 05-11-2006, 09:51 PM
diegom6
Amateur

ORIGINAL: Drew

an A/F gage is kinda tricky on a diesel.

your best bet is going to be to get a quadzilla box, edge, bullydog, Van Aaken, or for the best bang a TST.

all these boxes can be removed and leave no visable trace of something being there

Thanks for your help! I will let you know what i do in the end!

Thanks,

Diego

Quick Reply: New member