Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cummins Forum news. . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cummins Forum news. . .

Alright guys, in an attempt to make this section more user friendly I am begining a Frequently Asked Questions, Tips and tricks, and deffinitions sections that I am going to make sticky. granted we have not had alot of people start threads lately about the silencer ring, or fuel mileage, but I still think it will be something nice to have to quickly thumb through for those quick questions that can be answered quickly.

What I need from ya'll. Starting tomorrow I will be out of town for two weeks for Annual Training(5 May-19 May), dureing this time I'll leave this thread as a sticky for easy acess. I need sugestions on what you would like to see in the FAQ, T&T, and deffinitions. the more input I get from this the better it will become. I am not limiting this to only 3rd gens, all generations of Rams with the burnin' oil under the hood will be included.

I feel this will make this section more user friendly and is also something that will help more people register for the forum as a whole.

So guy's, type away and let me know what you would like to see

Edit: please dont PM me with this at this time, just respond to this message. . .thanks guys!

Old 05-07-2006, 09:08 PM
NJ Diesel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cummins Forum news. . .

Off the top of my head:

Transmissions, maintanance or good replacements
Front ends, steering boxes, links, tie rods, etc.
Performance Chips & tricks, engine, trans, etc.
Injectors,fuel pumps, troubleshooting and upgrades
Shock absorbers, upgrades for different uses
Various aftermarket oils and filters
How to indentify your motor, trans, diff case and rears for troubleshooting or parts ordering

A list of good independant Dodge Ram & CTD mechanics/shops that members can recommend around the USA for stuff that's over our heads

Lists and links to aftermarket parts suppliers

Recalls and/or warranty problems or excessive problems for specific model years (i.e-early automatic trans)

Hope this helps.........

Old 05-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Drew
Professional

I didnt think about the reputable shops around the US, that would be a good one to include.

I already know of two off the top of my head

Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

For an FAQ something on the 2nd gen 24V trucks would definitely be good. Just something that lists the common problems (lift pump, watch out for the "53" block, etc.) then maybe a link to more info, say to Dodgeram.info. something like this for each revision would be great, but could take a while to put together. The '98.5 - '01 trucks seem to have the most questions though.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:30 AM
The Big Kid

Hi, I have been lurking about a fair bit, and I think this is my opportunity to come out of the wordwork.

I would like to hear about is :

aftermarket accessories and warranty issues(ie- if who puts on what, what happens to you or what aftermarket accessories do not impact your warranty).
dealing with dealerships that know little about our awesome engine, and what people did about it to get the satisfaction they desired(example- I had a dealer tell me my warranty void -due to their lack of knowledge-, I had to get them to hand over a manual so I could show them where it said to put in 10W30 motor oil in the cold winter).
An area for people to mention thier little things so that we can track other issues people are having, (relates to above - so we can use the same arguements to get service)

I have many horror stories about dealing with service departments, not many are for the faint of heart.

TBK

Old 05-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Drew
Professional

personal experience is also a good thing since I have run into many so called experts that didnt realize the Cummins was an inline 6. they all thought it was a v-8. apparently they have never been under the hood. what is even better was the only time I took my truck to the shop to have the weather stripping replaced the kid that took my truck back nearly did a burnout in the parking lot in first. didnt know you can start out in 2nd without touching the throttle

I am going to ba changing my oil, fuel filter, trans oil, transfer, and diffs soon. I am planning on making a section with pictures for each one and the tools needed since just changing out the fuel filter can make a massive impact on performance and mileage, plus when you can do it for the cost of a filter ($13 for a 10 micron fleetguard) instead of being hijacked by the stealer for $60+.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:16 PM
dieselram
Captain

That fluid maint. would be extremely useful to us newbies.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:12 AM
BlkRam69
Professional

Ditto...

I like the fluids idea especially if it comes with a Drew photo-rama like the BHAF install.

That was good stuff.

I still find myself searching for that checking on the sensor placement etc.

I pay the stealer becouse there suppose to know. As pointed out earlier we find out the hard way (and pay) that they often dont.

I love to have the warranty questions answered too but unfortunately this appears to vary among service managers.

If you can do that for us Drew you would rival the great Carnac the Magnificent! (remember him?)

I was going to put a turbo back exhaust on and the service manager told me he wouldnt honor any check engine light (or related codes) thrown if the cat. was removed! [:'(]

Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Drew
Professional

yea, you will run into that with alot of service managers, you have some that will actualy help you put on that edge, bully dog, TST box they just sold you

then others will kill the warranty if they see you have shaved the lettering off the side[:@]

Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 PM
StoneCold316

I have a 2000 dodge cumins and am looking into getting a tuner for it ,but I don't know which one is the best one to get and where to go to get the best price? which one gives me the most horsepower and torque?

Quick Reply: Cummins Forum news. . .