Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Ford Guys......

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Shadow Caster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Guys......

FYI: I was on the ford forums site the other day and boys are those guys slaming the dodge trucks and the cummins diesels. They are saying stuff like they could blow a dodge diesel away out of the hole and that the dodge would never catch it. They also said that those big v engines will pull more stuff faster and and easier because they have v engines. They also claim that those power strokes are built by a very well known and big engine manufacturer (Internatilnal Harvester). Well I just think that is hilarious b/c they are more truck manufacturers then anything and if anyone has ever worked an t-444e international engine they would know what a piece of junk it is. They say stuff like there new turbos will spool faster then our junky ol' holsets will. Well I just think that they are so misinformed and dumb. One guy even went as far as to say that the new cummins motors are old technology. Now the funny thing is that ford has to keep redesigning that P.O.S. power stroke to try to get an engine that is worth a crap. By the way the new 6.0 or sick liter as I call it is out in 07 and they are trying a new 6.4 Twin turbo engine. Now here is something else to laugh at not only are they using 2 turbos but they are using a common rail fuel system just like our cummins have been using since '03. But who knows maybe our "OLD" technology as they call it isn't so bad after all. This is just some FYI I would recommend you guys spend a little time on the ford diesel forums and see what these guys are says b/c it just cracks me up.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:44 AM
mikebol
Veteran
Default RE: Ford Guys......

A very good friend of mine works at the IH Navistar plant in Indiana that makes PowerStroke and DuraMax diesels. He says the 03, 04, and 05 models of that motor are crap and they think the 06s *might* fair better. The problem is with the design of the heads according to him. He said that ever since Ford started designing the motor, not IH, the PowerStroke has been unreliable at best.

He drives an old '95 or '96 F350 with the 7.3 liter IH designed motor in it, the same motor that you'll find in your neighborhood UPS truck.

I'm with you, stay away from these things.

Mike

Old 05-27-2006, 02:45 AM
KenZ
Veteran

I know what you mean about the Ford forums. I just traded my '99 Ford 7.3 powerstroke for a '05 Dodge Cummins dually. Only have about 500 miles on her, but I am really impressed. Had know major problems with the 7.3, only one cam sensor. The motor worked good, The rest of the truck would not stay together. Two sets of ball joints, three brake jobs (rotors inc.), auto hubs, etc.... also didn't like the 13 miles to the gallon. Those ford guys should drive a cummins, they would be impressed to!

Old 05-27-2006, 11:52 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Have not been near the Ford forum but you need to to check out how bad the GMC people over at http://dieselplace.com/forum/ talk about our Dodge trucks and the CTD. Some of them can not bring them selves to type or say the word Dodge or as they say the D word.

Thou I do feel sorry for them as that Duramax has a lot of problems with injectors and some have major over heating problem.

Charles

Old 05-28-2006, 01:46 AM
Shadow Caster
Rookie

You know I agree with all you guys. For one the Duramax has aluminum heads. Now granted that probably works ok but you don't see tractor trailer trucks with diesel engines with aluminum heads. I mean if you are gonna tow and work the engine build something that will not junk itself the first time you get it hot. I also heard that the powerstroke got worse when Ford started building it. I just dont understand why so many people are against Dodge trucks and Cummins motors. I mean they make junk in all the vehicles and nothing is built as good as they used to be. It is truly amazing though that these Ford and Chevy guys are more worried about their trucks holding together then their engines. I just know that I am sold on dogdge trucks with cummins diesels. Oh one more thing when a ford guy or a chevy guy starts cracking about how bad your Dodge is then just say whatever you think buddy b/c you are the one having to bring up reasons why your truck is better then mine and I dont have to b/c I KNOW MINE IS BETTER. Proven themselves time and time again.

P.S. I have been to the dieselplace forums but thanks for the info....If you will notice those Ford guys put up a site about dyno testing trucks and the LIL" OL Cummins engine still pulled out more power then the fords or chevy's......

Old 05-28-2006, 03:04 AM
jagj52
Rookie

I have heard rumor that Ford is getting rid of the PS engine due to the probs with it over the last few years and are attempting to go with a Catapillar powerplant and tranny. Has anyone else heard or read about this?

Old 05-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jag, that has been a rumor for YEARS.

the smallest CAT engine out there that produces good power today is still too large to fit under the hood of any ford, chevy, or dodge. CAT did produce a small displacement v8 that was impressive, but only in small numbers and it only had a niche market. if cat is going to supply an engine, it is going to be sold to as many people as possable, and ford doesnt sell enough units to break even on the deal

Old 05-31-2006, 01:55 AM
KenZ
Veteran

Ford is introducing a new motor probably just after the first of the year as a '08 model truck. It will still be a powerstroke, only 6.4 liters. Still made by Navistar/International. The release date has been moved back a few times, evidently they want this one to be right. They can't afford another 6.0 liter experience. My '99 7.3 ps was a really good engine, truck sucked, but the engine did what it was supposed to do real well. Ford had a hand in engineering/designing the 6.0 with terrible results. Rumor has it that is cost them $500,000 in warrenty cost over the life of the 6.0. Its only been a week, and 650miles, but I love my new Cummins.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:07 AM
Shadow Caster
Rookie

Yeah I had heard that ford was bringing out another new engine. I saw a schematic of the new engine on the ford forums. Someone had a link to it there. It is even twin turboed. Now I am not sure why they think they need to do that? I guess b/c Cat is using that now. But that inenivatibly means that there is just more cost b/c there is more to break.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:19 AM
troop
Rookie

I would like to say a couple of things. 1st ford's are a good truck I've owned 3 of them 2000 F150 (junk) 2002 F30 with the 7.3 in it great truck real under powered, 06 F350 V-10 outstanding power horrible gas mileage and the last 2 have one thing in common, they ride like tanks. There is a reason I came back to the CTD. This will be my second CTD and I love them. Ya some of you are saying this guy buys alot of vehicles. Anyway the dodge is alot more comfortable, rides alot better and tows alot better. WE all know you can't beat a CTD. I know people who have gone through 3 different turbo's in thier ford I can't wait till ford goes to a 2 turbo motor they can't keep one in tact let alone 2. I've driven the 6.0 I thought it was underpowered and you get no power until you hit around 4k rpm's thats not how a diesel works, its low end torque. I also read that the reason ford pushed the new motor back to 08 is because it suffered catastrofic failure and they couldn't figure it out, came right from the ford guys. So be proud of what ya got because the guys I know that own the ford's and Chevy's always seem to say you can't go wrong with a CTD.
Shane

Quick Reply: Ford Guys......