Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

bypass filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 06:02 PM
derrelw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bypass filter?

Hey guys I'm interested in getting some real world info about bypass filters.
Anybody using one? Did you install it yourself?
What brand are you using?
Are the results as advertised?

Old 05-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bypass filter?

I dont have one, but I hear many good things about the AMSoil one.

it filters 1 gallon of oil in about 20 min, and extends the life of the oil and main filter since the one you use is probably a 5 micron, the filters used in the AMSoil bypass filter particles down to 2 micron.

then you have the Franz toilet paper filter that can also filter down to 2 micron as well. I am unsure as to it's gph filtering capabilities, but there are as many people useing the franz as I know that use the AMSoil.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:49 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

I read somewhere recently that the CTD motor leaves alot of soot i the oil? is it necessary to filter that out as well? I assume that is why the oil is black so soon after an oil change... would the buypass filter catch this?

Old 05-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am unsure if the bypass filter would catch the soot, I believe it would but I dont know. and yes, soot is the reason why the oil turns as black as it does so quick.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:52 PM
gametrail

HI!! GUYS and GALS I talked to the Amsoil people, and they told me it would get almost all the soot out. As soon as i can i am going to get one, then i will let everyone know how it works.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:11 PM
gametrail

Here is the E-mail i got.

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, filtering out soot is one of the primary purposes of our by-pass system. While it cannot filter out all of the soot, it will greatly reduce soot levels compared to a standard full-flow filter.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Ed Kellerman

AMSOIL Technical Services

Old 06-04-2006, 03:22 AM
bekim
Professional

I installed the oilguard bypass system. It has a 2 micron rating and was a simple install. The cannister is mounted on the tranny support where the rear drive shaft comes out. It takes oil from the capped test port by the oil filter, and returns it to the oil filler cap with a billet replacement unit supllied with the kit. From what the manufacturer claims, the particles doing the most to wear out parts in the motor are 4-7 microns in size. Soot ,by the way is sub-micron size (that is less than 1 micron), hence not much soot is filtered out.
Most oil additives like boron and molybdenum, and TBN are sub-micron size and filtering them out wouldn't be good!
The Amsoil system as well as the FS2500 (fs2500.com) seem to be good systems as well.
I sent off a sample that has 5000 miles on the oil with bypass system installed last week. I'll be comparing it to the sample run for 5000 miles without the bypass system. I'll be sure and post the results as a testimonial to whether the bypass system is really doing something substantial, or just costing money for more specialized filters and hassle.
Cheers
Mike
###

Quick Reply: bypass filter?