Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Just installed AutoMeter Boost/Pyro gauges, quick questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 04:19 AM
RedRacer44
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed AutoMeter Boost/Pyro gauges, quick questions?

As stated, I installed some AutoMeter Boost/Pyro gauges today....just have some questions about each.

On the boost, the guy who helped me install the gauges, who is a diesel mechanic for Kenworth, said that there wont be much of a reading on the gauge unless the truck is "under load" a.k.a. pulling heavy trailer, hard acceleration, steep inclinces, etc....is he correct? The gauge didnt show much except at take-off where it'd peak at like 6-8 PSI and then drop back off to 0 or 1 PSI once at 65-70 MPH. Just want to make sure the gauge is reading correctly. We hooked the gauge up by putting a T-Fitting on the hose coming off the waste gate if I remember correctly...then there's a small nylon hose running off the fitting back to the gauge...

Ok, on the pyro....we pulled the 1st section of the exhaust off the exhaust manifold and drilled a small hole to insert/weld a threaded "bung" in the exhaust which is where the sensor for the pyro is threaded into. Then of course there is 2 wires coming off the sensor running back to the gauge. I've heard different setups being used as far as where the sensor should go...I've seen 'em installed on the exhaust manifold but my buddy said all the big diesel trucks measure pyro after the turbo which is where we put it. I'm getting a solid reading of 550 degrees at 65 MPH with an increase up to 650-700 degrees going up a moderate incline and then running at about 800-850 degrees under hard acceleration....does this sound right?

Thanks for any input or advice!

Old 05-29-2006, 12:32 PM
donnie
Professional
Default RE: Just installed AutoMeter Boost/Pyro gauges, quick questions?

On my 05, the boost gauge shows about 6 when on the freeway doing 70 and s[ike to 28 when under hard acceleration.
I mounted my pyro preturbo between # 5 and 6 cyl.
I usually get readings of 600-700 while cruising.
The highest Iv had it read is 12oo pulling a trailer on a grade.
To me, the numbers your showing sound normal.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second donnie, everything sounds about normal,

mine is in the manifold as well and I can spike as much as 1100F and pull 35+# boost. even in first gear, unloaded I can create a little boost, 2-3#, even revving the engine I can see 1-2# but I get most of my pressure in 5th and 6th.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
jrlaidle
Rookie

Considering putting gauges in my truck as well, and have a couple more questions

1. What guages to install? For sure EGT and Boost. What about fuel pressure in the cab? What about tranny temp? Any others I am missing?

2. What brand do you guys recommend and where do you purchase from?

3. As far as the EGT....why have I not heard anyone mounting it by the collector right before the turbo? Seems to me this would give the most accurate reading as far as what the turbo is actually seeing. If I don't mount it there, I would mount it on top of the manifold, so what is the best or easiest place to mount it? Is any welding required to mount the bung, or is it a NPT? What if any sealant is used if the bung is just threaded?

4. If a tranny temp is recommended, where exactly would I mount the thermocouple? What temps should I see in the various mounting locations? I do not plan on doing much towing, but will eventually add a box. I have the automatic with 3.73 gears.

5. I have an 06 2500. Does this engine have the questionable lift pump? If not, is there any reason to install a fuel pressure guage (reason I ask is that the ones that mount in the cab are kind of spendy)? If I do need one, where is that installed and what pressures should I be seeing?

Once again, thanks in advance. You guys are full of useful info and I appreciate all this help.

Josh

Old 05-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a westach dual EGT boost gage mounted in the STR-10 grab handle. gives it a very clean stock look. I also have the Pyro mounted right next to #3. it would be preferable to have it reading off of #6 since this is generaly the hottest cylinder.

if you are stock, or have a mild performance box, boost and egt are all you realy need. once you start going over 100 extra hp you do need a fuel pressure and tranny temp, if you haul alot boost egt and tranny temp are mandatory. oh, and the threads on the thermocouple and the mounting hardware you get are all NPT

the lift pump for your truck is not the lift pump as older trucks, in 05 the pump was changed over to a more reliable pusher pump that is in the tank.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:56 PM
ddg21

i used autometer pyro, egt, trans temp in autometer single a pillar and a dual mount pod on the stearing column. i like the handle in the a pillar to help get my old butt up in the truck. as far as what they read i get 40# of boost under heavy load while the egt will climb slightly over 1200 f but dont keep it there long. running six gun and speed loader, high ram intake and monster exhaust all from banks and a k&n filter and tub kit. love it all and highly recommend. your exhaust manifold has a divider in it . your pyro should be mounted in the center of the rear half (prefered) or the center of the front half. i have one in each there is no difference in temp. remove the turbo first and dont drill in the center of the manifold as there is a divider there.. im talking about down at the bottom of the manifold where the flange is. (4 bolts) the boost gage goes in the intake manifold . the high ram has a npt for it.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:14 AM
Aaronon38s
Rookie

Is a trans temp really necessary for 5 speeds?I know more indications is better, but to choose between a fuel pressure and trans temp gauge, what would you guys go with? I mainly use my 98' 12V for towing about 7000 lbs of trailer 3-4 times a month. Opinions?

Quick Reply: Just installed AutoMeter Boost/Pyro gauges, quick questions?