Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need some info on Cummins Dually

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:15 AM
alexi21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info on Cummins Dually

I've been searching lately for a dually truck that can tow around 7-8 tons. I've heard good things about the Cummins and I had some questions for you guys. I'm still relatively new to diesel trucks so take it easy on me. I don't want something brand new nor do I want to spend a lot since this truck will only be used to move equipment. Somewhere from 10-15K is the preferred price range. I found some late 90's Cummins Dually Rams and was wondering if they would be able to pull that much weight. If not would it be possible to modify the truck to do so? I know the Cummins is a good motor and could probably make the required power but how would the drivetrain/suspension hold up to that kind of weight? Also, are there any common problems for these kinds of trucks? Any info you guys have would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:26 AM
bandit1trucking
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need some info on Cummins Dually

I'm new here, but I'll relate my feelings on the matter. I've had Dodge 1 tons for the last 10 yrs, and wouldn't consider Chevy or Ford for what we do. We've got a '96 12 valve, a '99 24 valve, and a '03. The '96 and '99 were bought brand new. They're all 4X4's, the '96 is a single cab long wheelbase with a flatbed, the '99 is a quad cab dually, and the '03 is a 4 door dually. The '96 is straight exhaust, with dual stacks, the '99 is straight exhaust with duals coming out the sides at the back, and the '03 is stock. The '99 and '96 both have 5 speeds, the '03 a 6 speed. Having the mechanical 12 valve motor, the '96 was the cheapest to get more power out of, by doing some adjustments on the pump. I have a 90 horse chip in the '99, and it still won't out pull the '96, but it will outpull the stock '03. We haul backhoes and a dozer with them, and they perform very well. The backhoes are a John Deere 310 SE, a Case 580 SK, and a Case 580 SL. The dozer is a John Deere 650 H, with a cab. The ONLY real weakness I've found with these trucks, is the front hub/Wheel bearing assembly. I had to replace both on the '96 before 60,000 miles, and we replaced one on the '03 at about 90,000 miles. I've got 171,000 on the '99, and will be replacing one on it within the next week. I have replace 1 clutch in the '99, but dragging a 24,000 pound dozer around, what do you really expect? These trucks aren't really designed for what we do with them, but they've held up good I feel.

IF this works right, I'll post pics of all 3 trucks.

the '96

the '99

the '03

all 3 of them on the job

Quick Reply: Need some info on Cummins Dually