Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

what is the best tuner for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:36 PM
StoneCold316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best tuner for my truck

I have a 2000 dodge cumins and am looking into getting a tuner for it but it's hard to tell which one is the best, and where can I go to get the best price? which one will give me the most horse power and torque?

Old 06-01-2006, 09:38 PM
StoneCold316
Default RE: what is the best tuner for my truck

edge, banks, quadzilla,or some other one?

Old 06-01-2006, 09:44 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I have the edge with attitude and love it, it's able to program in safeguards to protect the tranny & motor from excessive power which could lead to tranny slippage and torque converter problems...

I vote edge...

have you looked at TST products? they are on my list of goodies to get and stack it with the edge

Old 06-01-2006, 09:47 PM
StoneCold316

where do I go to find tst products? have you heard of quadzilla tuners?

Old 06-01-2006, 09:53 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

http://www.tstproducts.com/

I have heard of the quads but dont know much about them. I was pretty set on the edge when I was doing my research. afterwards I learned that there is a way of stacking the boxes for even more performance tweeking. not 100% sure how that's done yet but when the time comes i'll find out.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

oh yeah, another thing... be aware that the tranny's can only handle up to about 70~75 hp max before needing upgrades. I think the edge ez box is good for 75 IIRC and that is about max before upgrades.

one thing i'd suggest is opening up the intake & exhaust, it's cheeper and it has some good performance gains.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:34 PM
dieselram
Captain

I'm running the bully dog power pup right now, but I'm not liking it too much. the power is great (especially the crazy larry mode), but it has to be plugged in and unplugged each time you want to adjust the level, and I have an older model that keeps the brake warning lights on.

:edit: Stacking is possible because some boxes adjust the timing and pulse width of the fuel (like my power pup) and other increase the fuel pressure (TST ramifier). Used together with the proper air flow (intake, turbo, intercooler, exhaust, etc) and the proper engine protection (head studing, etc), this combination can turn your truck into a tire melting rocket. It should be noted that this will shorten the life of your engine.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:36 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

yeah that's one nice thing about the edge... you can adjust it on the fly. I think the tst is the same way...

Old 06-02-2006, 02:08 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

I've been sittin on the fence for about three months and have (only) looked at many of them (alot).

Lots of people go with the edge. All things considered edge has a lot to offer with on the fly, safeguards (egt, tranny slip, tire size, etc.), stacking. built in guages (piro, fuel pressure, tranny, dif temp etc.) In gouges alone this is well worth the investment. Nice setup.

Most say stay away from the Banks d/t ecm probs.

TST seems to be for those who have done some serious mods to prevent leaving your tranny behind you or luanching you cast head into orbit. Lots of power!

I finally decided on Bully dog which after reading DieselRam's post I'm a bit apprehensive. (I'm waiting for the brown truck to arrive today).

The reason I chose the dog was for the exact reason that DieselRam doesnt like it. So I can take it in for service without my service manager ever knowing it was there.

I have talked to the three in my area and there all pr*cks! All they say is void void void!

Anyway. The bully dog (for the '06) will still adjust on the fly but you do have to keep it plugged in under the dash. It has safeguard but then you have to install the outlook monitor (has the guages and safe guards as with edge and others) wich leaves a nice trail for my service manager to follow while he mutters void, void, void!

The one thing that the dog can do that I didnt see in the others was the ability to clear (& veiew for research) codes. It saves your current ecm which you can reset prior to service. Nice.

Cant tell you aboput performance untill next week. I get it today which gives me all weekend to play! Also getting a 5" exhuast and cold air intake as well.

I went through Xtreme Diesel. The tuner (without monitor) cost $480. Maybe someone esle will tell us if that was a good, fair, bad deal. Service was good though and asnwered many many questions.

I'll let you know next week power, perf, and most importantly (to me) mpg (increase or decrease).

I hope I didnt make your decision harder but like I said. I've been on the fence and it took me 3 months to make my choice.

Peace

Old 06-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is what you need to look for in boxes:

How do they increase power?

there are three ways to increase power in these trucks, Timeing, Duration, and Pressure. Timeing and Duration will give the best gains down low and through the mid RPM's. T&D plus pressure will give the higher RPM's a good kick, but pressure is not good in the low and mid RPM's. Pressure alone will give power throughout the entire band, however you run the risk to damaging the CP3, Injectors, and the rail pop-off valve. of all three the valve is the cheapest at $2-300 and injectors start at that mark.

Performance Boxes that are Timeing and Duration only are more expensive, but give the best, most reliable and safest power gains since you are keeping things in closer to stock as possable, only adjusting when and for how long the injector is open.

Pressure Boxes are inexpensive, do give good power but run the risk of popping something in the fuel system.

TST and Van Aaken boxes are the only boxes that use timeing and duration only in all settings.
Edge and Quadzilla boxes use timeing and duration on the lower settings, and only in the highest settings do they add pressure.
I am unsure of bully dog, but I do know it uses all three.
Banks uses timeing and duration on the first two of three settings, the last settings add pressure.

Out of all of these I would steer clear of the banks. their software is buggy, but their hardware(turbo's, Intercoolers, etc. . .) is some top notch stuff.

If I had the cash, I would stack the TST with the edge for all out power, for a little less go for the Quadzilla Van Aaken stack. then go for Edge and bully dog w/crazy larry. but if your doing this you need to look at upgradeing the turbo, SPS66 is by far the best turbo and I know a guy that is getting 1200hp with it

TST is going to be the box that gives the most power with 20 different power settings, everything else following up with about equal numbers. But I will say this; Quadzilla has quite possable the best customer service department out there

Quick Reply: what is the best tuner for my truck