Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 05:48 AM
bandit1trucking
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power

I've got a '99 quad cab dually, CTD with 171,000 miles on it. I've started having a loss of power going down the highway. It started back around Christmas, and progressively got worse. You'd be driving down the road, and all of a sudden, it just acts like you shut the fuel off, and it'd coast for a ways, then take off again. Finally, the "check engine" light started coming on sometimes when it'd do this, so I had a freind hook his Snap-On code scanner up to it. It said "throttle position sensor", so that's what I replaced. It has helped the power some (it seems to run more like it used to) most of the time, but in the last 2 weeks since I changed the part, it has done this again 3 times. Except the "check engine" light hasn't came on. Also, sometimes it starts like normal, while sometimes you have to crank it over quite a bit before it starts. (It has always started really good before). I replaced the injection pump at about 140,000, and the last lift pump was put on back in January. (I've changed the lift pump 5 times, I think I could change it blindfolded by now.). It's got the factory injectors still (I'm thinking about marine injectors), and a 90 horse chip. It runs great when it's running right. Also, the exhaust manifold is cracked, is there an aftermarket exhaust manifold that is better? this is the second one that's cracked.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Loss of power

goodness, you have had a few problems with your beast.

the exhaust is an easy one, ATS has a good one and there are others out there, I think BD has one, Banks will be on the high side, and a few more that I cant think of at the moment.

with injectors the 370 sticks are a favorate of many.

now when it comes to the lift pump. putting a new one is just like putting a bandaide on a sucking chest wound. it will cover it up, but wont get you far. your best bet is to right now have your VP44 checked, then replace the lift pump with a FASS or Walbro pusher pump with some larger fuel lines while your at it

Old 06-13-2006, 02:37 AM
bandit1trucking
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loss of power

Drew, I really appreciate your input. I just found this forum the other night, but have been reading thru here, and can tell you're very knowledgeable. I bought my first Dodge/Cummins in '96, and at this point wouldn't consider a different truck combination. I admit, I've had a few problems, such as these, but my trucks see severe use. I like the older (mechanical) pumps better myself, as I know enough about them to make them run good, without spending a lot of money on electronics. I do almost all of my own mechanical work (I own a construction company, so it's everything from a 5 HP water pump to a 75,000 pound trackhoe), but am just getting into the electronic controlled engines. So far, I had only done enough to the '99 to make it pull a little better, but I'm planning on getting a newer truck to use primarily for work, and kind of semi-retire/ let my wife take over the '99. So it's time to start playing with it a little more seriously.

Where would I inquire about the FASS or Walbro pusher pump? Does it go in the tank, or remote mount somewhere? I didn't realize that the stock lift pump was such a piece of junk. I had wondered why I had so much trouble out of it, but don't know anyone else around here that's had that much trouble. Which it may be a different pump than anybody I know has. (year wise, I don't know anyone else around here that has a '99. some '98's and then some '01's).

Quick Reply: Loss of power