Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DIY Maintenance: Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DIY Maintenance: Fuel Filter

the filter is a fuel filter/water seperator. I know there were some variations between the drop in filter like I have and a screw on oil filter type. the canister should be the same with a screw off lid.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Drew

the filter is a fuel filter/water seperator. I know there were some variations between the drop in filter like I have and a screw on oil filter type. the canister should be the same with a screw off lid.
I couldn't wait to get outta work yesterday and check out my filter. It was going to be my weekend project.

Unfortunately my filter looks TOTALLY different than the one you have pictured. There are a bunch of lines going to the top of it, and I didn't see the valve part that you show that you turn on / off to let the fuel drain. I DID see the line though where the excess drains out. It looks like the cover on my filter is held on by a nut and bolt type system however I don't want to just start randomly taking bolts out hopeing for the best. Besides, the lines going to the top make me nervous as well.

Do you have any pics of a 98 fuel filter? It IS the 24 valve if that make a difference.

Thanks in advance !!

Old 08-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Drew
Professional

from what it sounds like you have a drop in filter like mine, but the canister is a bit different.

I did find this write up on changeing the fuel filter for 98's

here is a pic side by side of either the drop in filter on the left and the canister on the right. if you have the one on the left then the drop in filter number is correct.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I dunno.

The pic you provided kinda looks like I have the second version only because it looks like it has all of the lines and stuff on the top. The pic on the right looks like the filter you have ( nothing on top ).

Judging by the link you provided ( thank you ) it sounds like changing the filter on my truck is going to be a little more involved and difficult than it is on your truck.

Is there a better way or different set up that would make this job easier in the future?
Some sort of remote filter or something that can be mounted along the frame or something?

Old 08-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Drew
Professional

sounds more like you have the spin on type filter FS19519

does it look kinda like this, but flipped 180?

there are some filter relocation kits out there, but they are not cheap. you would be better off getting a FASS I kit or a walbro w/filter kit if you wanted to go that route. but one this is for sure, you wouldnt have to worry about the lift pump going out on you every again

Old 08-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

sounds more like you have the spin on type filter FS19519

does it look kinda like this, but flipped 180?

there are some filter relocation kits out there, but they are not cheap. you would be better off getting a FASS I kit or a walbro w/filter kit if you wanted to go that route. but one this is for sure, you wouldnt have to worry about the lift pump going out on you every again
I don't think so, but then again I was looking at it at night with a droplight. I'll get a little more into it now now that I know there are two different types. My setup looks very much like the drawn picture that you put up earlier .... the one on the right with al of the lines all over it.

I went to Geno's site and it really looked like this :
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/mt_...l_sys_comp.htm

I've looked and looked at the pic but I haven't figured out how the filter comes out based on that pic. I've been searching for instructions ( hopefully like the ones you provided here ) but no luck yet. I'm still digging though.

I'm not real hip to what exactly a FASS system is or what it's all about. I DO know that I don't want to get into a situation where I'm hot rodding my truck. I'd like to leave it as stock as possible with a few upgrades to help the truck run better. Kinda like the K&N air filter set up that I put on. Also, anything that I can do to better help me maintain my truck I'm all over. I actually spoke to a mechanic friend about an oil filter re-locator only because changing the current oil filter is not only messy, but it's also a pain in the butt. He didn't reccomend it only because they sometimes do more harm than good. That's all I needed to hear. I've got other toys that i don't mind wrenching on, but when it comes to my truck it is my daily driver and the last thing I want on my mind just before a road trip is any fear of something I did causing me problems along the way and not being able to get a replacement so and so in route. You know what I mean?

Drew ... I can't thank you enough for helping me out here. These forums are really cool !!

Old 08-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Cactus Jack

Drew, Found the filters at a Big Rig parts store for $15, man they wanted $45 at the dealer. Can you tell what I can do about the poor A/C performance in my 06? I have been on the Edmunds website, looks like a lot of 06 RAM owners are not happy. Some talk about a design flaw or sensor placement.Others have talked about writing DC with no results. Whats going on. Any other forum members have any info.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Cactus Jack

Can you tell what I can do about the poor A/C performance in my 06?
What kinda A/C problems are you having? I've recently had some weird stuff going on as well, but my truck is a 98. In my truck as I turn the A/C flow down ( not the temp ) as I turn it to low for some reason the flow of air gets weak. Almost as if something is cogged. I turn the A/C **** to send the cold air up on the window ( defrost ) and I leave it there for a while, and then switch it back to blow out of the dash again and the air flow is fine.

Is that what's happening to you? If not, what's going on with MY A/C ??

( perhaps this A/C stuff should be under a new topic. I don't wanna take away from Drews work on the fuel filter thing )

Old 08-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Cactus Jack

Hello Mayfair,
Well this is a great truck.I have been wanting one since 1990.And the styling is just plain awesome, man those Fords, Chevy's , Nissans and Toyotas are UGLY. But the A/C just isn't that cold like in my old '95 F-150. My trucks blower is srtong and early in the morning it's not bad, but drive home after work in the afternoon here in phoenix and it doesn't measure up.I have the fan on high and set on inside recirculation. And at work I drive a 06 F- 250 diesel it will just about freeze you out in minutes. I've been in chevy's too that get real cold. And there's a dodgemegacab website with owners saying not to buy one because of this problem. Now the Edmunds site said you can find info. on this subject right here at dodgeforum but I can't seem to find it Like I said owners have gone to dealerships, some have had the compressors replaced, moved some kind of sensor or called it a design flaw. I have no idea, how colds the air get in your '98? So is their an A/C message board here at dodgeforum?

Old 08-20-2006, 01:46 AM
tbuster1002

The older Dodges were able to a lot longer than the third generation CTD. You are right Mayfair, your filet is a little different, if I remember right you have a nut the will spin off the top and the whole canister drops down then the filter lifts out. you will see a lever that will slide from your left to right to drain it while still on the vehicle. Bare with me I haven't been under a '98 since 99, so my memory may be a little rusty. OBTW, the older CTD went 60K for fuel filter changes. The easiest way to know when the filter is done is to see the white/grey smoke that will billow out of the exhaust. It will run a little off until all of the air it out after the filter change. If you feel that it just does not run the same or better as before, bleed the injection pump and the fuel lines. It is quite easy despite what others say, there is a short cut and it can be done in about 5 - 10 minutes. Hope this helps..

Quick Reply: DIY Maintenance: Fuel Filter