Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

cummNeed You Guy's Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 03:28 PM
hemi_man87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cummNeed You Guy's Opinion

Hey all, i'm new to this forum though have been fishing through the forum for ages. By the end of the summer, i'll be gettin a truck..definately goin dodge! I'm currently debating whether to go for an '02 or '03 Ram reg cab long box with the 4.7 stick (or auto), or a 12 valve (or 24..though would prefer 12...which one's more reliable??) cummins from 94-98. I don't really tow very much, im interested in the diesel for the fuel mileage. I will be hauling 15-20 shopping carts in the bed..though i know that wont make much of a difference for either motor. My question is, is 12valve or the 24 valve alrite for a daily driver and how easy are they to work on? I'm quite familiar with gas engines, but i only know the basic workings and theory behind diesel. If you could give me your opinion whether id be better off with the 4.7 or the cummins for daily driving, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: cummNeed You Guy's Opinion

the cummins is an alright daily driver, but you need to load it down from time to time in order to keep the injectors clean. this is especialy true on the newer HPCR engines (03 and up)

for whats it's worth, I would either try and find a 12 valve since the P7100 injector pump can be turned up very nicely or an 03 and up.

between 98.5 and 02 those are the years of the dredded VP44 injector pump. now these pumps can be turned up as well, but when it comes to pump longevity there is a rather large question mark next to it. as long as you can keep diesel flowing above 6psi to it you will be fine. but go below that and you run the risk of damageing the pump and it is not a cheap item.

the main thing to replace on a diesel is the fuel filter. just like good plugs on a gaser, a good clean fuel filter will do the same to a diesel. and unlike the chevy and ford offerings, the cummins does not have glow plugs I have seen the aftermath of a cracked glow plug in the old chevy 6.2's, 6.5's and also the new 6.6L duramax's, as well as the ford IDI 7.3's and even the new 6.0's. it isnt a pretty sight and depending on how it fell in and got wedged you can say goodbye to the entire engine.

in all truithfullness, the cummins will have a longer life. 250K before the valves need to be re-lashed, 500 before even needing to be looked at for a ring rebuild. and some have gone 750K and only changed the oil and fuel filter

Old 06-28-2006, 04:49 PM
hemi_man87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks drew...i'm still split on either diesel or gas just because of my increased experience with gas engines, the info you provided made my decision harder but thanks again...being on a university student budget...i have to weigh all the alternatives

thanks again

Old 06-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell you what. . .haveing an older 12 valve, dual 6 inch stacks out of the bed not only looks bad@55, if you have the pump turned up which is a VERY inexpensive mod watch out sports cars, they'll be suckin coal

[IMG]local://upfiles/7365/E3DEF32F5F3846EA8F680926E6FCBFDE.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: cummNeed You Guy's Opinion