Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Insight on going back to stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:40 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Insight on going back to stock

I like my edge, easily programmable and has the monitoring functions. A couple of days ago I was on a steep incline and the coolant temp reached 210 and the edge's alarm for engine temp went off... didnt know it would do that but it sure is nice to have it.

you never answered my questions from the earlier reply...??

also the other thing that's probably killing your milage some is the mudders. You should look for a compramise between an AT tire and a mudder, that would help out with milage IMO...

Old 06-27-2006, 01:48 PM
ArcticMega
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 2,100 miles on it. The only things that I have done are nerf bars, skyjacker leveling kit and front shocks.(thinkin about puttin on rear shocks? 33" grapplers, 20" lawless jesse james wheels( the really deep ones), my tires stick out about 3 inches. I was thinking of calling the place I bought them and asking if they would trade me for the not so deep versions. I think Im stuck with the tires, theyve been ridden for about 300 miles. I wanted the open countries but they are really hard to get in alaska. I would love to ditch this tire though! Will the edge void my warranty or would it be hard to conceal when going in for service? Whats your take on the bully dog? If you like the bully dog tell me exactly what to get?

Old 06-27-2006, 01:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

so your motor is stock... give it time to break in. milage will go up as you put miles on it. with the 33's on there your odometer is off by about 6% so add 6% to your odometer reading when hand calculating the milage (forget the overhead comp). Drive it hard and if you can put a trailer behind it to help speed up the breakin period. Your next purchase should be the flares. I got mine on-line for about $480 painted, ready to bolt on. When it comes time to get a box, do some research on different boxes before you decide what it is you want. on the intake... read my other posts on the size vs gas milage and choose wisely. same with the exhaust. While my truck screams with what it has (spools up really quick to 38 or so psi) it's lost some of the low end torque which helps with the milage. Me being the tweeker I am, I'm going to make some adjustments down the road to try and bring the low end torque back. but for now, I'm just enjoying the top end.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:54 PM
ramtradxb
Professional

Be aware Arctic that Chrysler is looking hard for reasons to void the warranty - and the programmers are being used as a reason to do so. So Steve000's comment to purchase other things to address your issues first is wise - modifications to the engine including a programmer (should they be able to trace it's use) will void a warranty on most engine issues...heck, the local dealer here was already warned me my 35's will void some warranty concerns should they arrise. (one reason to save those stock rims and tires)

Steve000 - in reading a lot of the threads it's apparent to me that a lot of people actually don't know how to calculate their mileage "by hand" - especially in that they divide by the tank gallons when they fill up instead of the actual gallons they used since last fill up. And, since different pumps have different flwo rates, filling at different stations requires a little more attention to filling to the same level. Maybe some "instruction" on how to calculate it would be a help to some? (your reminding Arctic to add miles driven to compensate for the ODO error is something a lot of people don't remember too)

I don't know if the Cust Svc numbers will get to someone at Cummins who can help with suggestions, but I know that the guys they send to shows where their products are showcased are very helpful. I have a C model in my motorhome in addition to the B in the Dodge, and have had them give me some very helpful answers to questions I've come to them with at shows...

Old 06-27-2006, 04:03 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

very true on the warranty void issues... I picked the Edge setup because it can be yanked w/o leaving a trace that it was there.

as for milage...from a full tank...
(miles driven * 1.06)/# of gallons to refill

you can use whatever number you come up with for the error... best way to check it is to follow someone you know on a road trip and track the mileage for both trucks. the other one must have the stock tire size however...

my 6% error came from dividing actual speed by speedometer speed... it is not accurate but close enough for me.

edit:
"Be aware Arctic that Chrysler is looking hard for reasons to void the warranty - and the programmers are being used as a reason to do so. So Steve000's comment to purchase other things to address your issues first is wise - modifications to the engine including a programmer (should they be able to trace it's use) will void a warranty on most engine issues...heck, the local dealer here was already warned me my 35's will void some warranty concerns should they arrise. (one reason to save those stock rims and tires) "

oh yeah... as far as other stuff breaking other than the motor/tranny.. it's just a weak link and needs to be upgraded with stronger stuff (my opinion). I already have a busted shock and wont go to the dealer even though its a warranty issue at this point. the shocks are crap and a good set of edelbrock IAS performers will be on there soon... same thing goes for the brakes. Powerstop rotors & pads will be next. When you upgrade parts to make it bigger/better/badder/stronger... stock doesnt cut it for shocks & brakes etc...

Old 06-27-2006, 08:44 PM
ArcticMega

now that I have these bigger tires, do I need to swap the brakes out at all?

Old 06-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

naa. . .the brakes you have are pretty good in stock form. but once the pads wear out that is when to upgrade them to something better

Old 06-28-2006, 03:34 PM
duneschick
Professional

Haha! I just replaced my rear brakes (fronts a few months ago) and rotors. When we took the pads off- they fell into pieces!! Dodge does have low quality stock brake pads, etc. And rotors- you pretty much need to replace them every time you change your brakes. Where can I find a decent rotor that can last? Also I just got the Edge chip with Juice (I have a six speed) but It would turn your auto tranny into peices- People say that when they upgraded there auto's they were so much happier with performance and all. So theres a good reason to upgrade! BUllyDog seems to be a good system but I stay with what my friends have and seems good. Edge Chip and 4" Hog exhaust. My buddy went through 3 edge EZ's in 1 year and 1/2. So I stayed away from that. But the power I gained now is well worth it. I am learning my new mileage and let you all know what I get when I fugure it out. Also I lost about 1 mpg when I put my leveling kit and 285/16 mud terrain tires on. I learned the hard way- it looks great with beefy wide tires- but the truck starts to look crappy. There are film pieces you can buy online and at performance places that can keep your truck from getting scratched from you daily driving (just replace when they look kind of bad and see what paint you saved yourself). Love my truck!!

Old 06-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correct me if wrong, but the 3rd gens have larger brakes than the 2nd gens, plus we have rear disks instead of drums. My brakes are some dusty mugs[:@]

I havent been able to compare brakes on the 2nd gens, but I think the rotor on the Dana axels were an inch smaller.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:17 PM
ArcticMega

What do you mean that It will tear up my tranny? Thought you said that the people who upgraded their autos love it? How could they if its tearing up their tranny? Just wondering because I want to put in a programmer just dont know which one to get. I want someone to tell me whats the best for my truck. I gues I need someone whos got a 06 Mega Cab. Thanks to evrybody whos givin me feedback...greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Insight on going back to stock