Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:18 PM
jeremy_qxida
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tranny???

Hi all. I'm going to be putting a CTD into a project vehicle in the near future. I'm wonder what various transmissions come on these trucks and the strengths and weakness' of each. I read on here that the pre '98 engines and the post '02 engines are the good ones. Which transmissions are compatible with those? At this point I think I want an automatic but I'm not totally against a manual. I want an all around performer, not all race or all towing. This will be a daily driver. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:01 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Which tranny???

Pre '98s used the 47RH and the 47RE. It depends on what year your motor/electronics are as to what transmission you can use. The 47RH was used in 94 and 95 and is a better transmission in my opinion. It's hydraulically controlled, and the only electronics are 2 solenoids (1 for OD, 1 for lock-up) and some sensors. The 47RE is electronically controlled and is run quite a bit by the engine computer [:'(]

I believe the 03+ trucks used the 48RE automatic. I can't tell you anything about that transmission.

Likewise I can't tell you anything about the manual transmissions. Never been able to drive a stick without snubbin it out [8D] so I've never taken much interest in them.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 48re tranny is just like the 47RE except a few differences in the clutch pack to enable it to handle the higher torque numbers comeing off the engine.

the manuals that have been used on these engines from dodge have been the NV4500HD(5spd), NV5600(6spd), and the new G-56[:'(]

your best bet would be to contact ATS and see what they have to say. they can get you a tranny that is streetable, but is also unbreakable

Old 07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
jeremy_qxida

Thanks alot guys. That's exactly the info I was hoping for. I have yet to choose the engine, I'm still waying all my options right now.

One more question. Are the Rams the only place to find a used Cummins? Does Dodge put them in anything else?

Thanks again.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford F6/750's, Freight Liner FL60/70's, and also UPS/Fed Ex package trucks can have them as well as the 4BT

Quick Reply: Which tranny???