Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Whats Up with DC

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 05:29 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats Up with DC

[:@]Does anyone know what’s up DC @55[:@]. While I was at the dealer[:'(] today I was asking about By Pass being installed on my 06 CDT (I wanted to see what it would cost to have them install it) and was told having one on the truck would void my warranty dealing with any oil related problems I may have in the future[:@]. The service man then told me that last week they saw one on a CDT that they said caused low oil presser and the poor guy had to shell out $1695.00 to replace his Turbo, plus labor and any thing else they could get him to pay for[&o]

Too make a long story short I was told that any thing I change, even the oil drain plug (I want one that has a magnet on it) could void my warranty. To the best of my knowledge I doubt it is Cummins who complains about the use of a By-Pass filter system, as I had one on my 350 Cummins when I drove and so did every Semi Truck I saw back then.

Btw, I have called several other dealers[>:] in the state and was told basically the same thing[:'(] and here I tell everybody how good the Dodge truck is. DC needs to get its head out of it's @55

I catch a lot of BS about owning a Dodge with a CTD and not the great GMC/Chevy Maxi-pad diesel, as ½ of my extended family likes GMC/Chevy. Too make it worse I get BS like this from my local DC dealer. BTW my wife came up with the name (Maxi-pad) for the Duramax.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Whats Up with DC

realy. . .I dont know, thats why I have pretty much assumed the possition that I am my own warranty station.

yes, DC does have their heads up their 4th point of contact, but I have yet to hear any problems from haveing a bypass filter.

the only thing I can think of is the filter was not installed properly or the oil pump has a loose connection, it is only supposed to take in a very low volume of oil, about one gallon every 15-20 min.

these guys are looking for ANY reason to void your warranty. I dont even take my truck to the dealer for oil changes. I do it myself since I know I can do it cheaper with better stuff.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:59 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Drew,

The more I think about it, I think I should put a call in to Cummins Regional in Omaha, NE and see what they have to say about installing a By-Pass filter. I want to keep the warranty in good shape as long as I can. Too me Forty Three grand is a lot of money to not have some type of warranty on a truck I’m still paying on. If Cummins not object to a By-Pass setup then I will drive to either Des Moines or Cedar Rapids, IA and have them in stall one, that is once I save a few $$ to buy one. I would like to think if Cummins does install one that DC would not bitch about it as we all know it will help the engine last longer.

One reason (I threw them a bone) and let the dealer do the service this time (I plan to do most of my own) was I wanted them to match a price for servicing the truck, as when the snow starts to fly and its 20 below zero, I know I will not want to do it my self. BTW, it was only $12 plus tax, which is cheap when it’s -20 below outside. Also I wanted to know for sure what DC wants me to have to show for fuel filter proof as I plan to change it my self and save $50.00.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:40 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

Sounds like you have a crappy service advisor at your dealership...

They way I look at things when my customers ask me is this....
I will do all I can to warranty your vehicle (if you bought it from me, if you went to the next town to buy your Dodge your on your own).
If you put on a PASS fuel pump and your injection pump goes out, I am going to file a warranty claim for you.
If you put an Edge chip in, and your turbo goes out, I am going to put a warranty claim for you.
Why do we need to tell the factory that these aftermarket parts exist? They have no way of knowing.... I think its just good customer relations.

Now, that being said.....
If you do your own oil change, and forget to put the plug in and ruin your engine because you didn't notice the big oil puddle on your driveway...your on your own. That isn't fair either. I won't just file EVERYTHING as a warranty claim, but I try to look out for my CUSTOMER.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:59 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Yes this BS was from the dealer I bought the truck from from. I thought buy being nice and talking to him first and having them install by-pass they would be Ok about it and not what I got from them. I even had to tell them this truck & all 05 4x4's have a grease fitting in the front drive line as the lub man & mech, did not know about it.

Hell I want to keep this $44,000 truck running as long as I can even after it's paid for. I can see some of what you said but I will keep this truck stock except for the by-pass system like what runs on most semi trucks & my 350 Cummins years ago. Also anyone who leaves his drain plug out has no right to blame DC or ask for warranty on it when his CDT stops very quickly with no oil in it.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:12 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

Well the oil change was just a scenerio of a condition that BLATANTLY would not be warranty.
But all those gray area concerns, I think your dealer should be on the side of the people that keep him in business. DCX has no way of knowing you put that by-pass on.