Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help!...Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:50 PM
boostyme
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!...Engine

I have a 2006 CTD and went to go to leave and the thing wont start. The Volt meter in the truck says about 12/13 volts....not at 14 when you are driving. When I try to start it....the lights do NOT go dim......you can hear the fuel pump priming and then when you try to turn it over....all I hear is a click. I have the edge Juice and I took the whole thing off and still nothing happens.....before I did I checked to see if I had any engine codes and nothing......however, once I try to start it, the engine light begins to flash and stays flashing.......Any thoughts?.......I need this thing for a big job tomarrow!
Thanks

Old 07-30-2006, 01:28 PM
boostyme
Rookie
Default RE: Help!...Engine

I just tried to get a jump and the thing still wont start. Volt meter is now up to 14......turn the key and just hear a click

Old 07-30-2006, 02:01 PM
LJ

Sounds like it might be the starter solinoid (spelling). Not positive but if you battery checks good and your not getting any cranking from the starter then the throwout is not contacting the flywheel which tells me that either the solinoid of the throwout portion of the starter itself. Not an expert just my guess.

LJ

Old 07-30-2006, 02:24 PM
boostyme
Rookie

Yeah, I hear ya. I just got finished taking everything off and turning it back to stock; I guess I have to call chrysler and get them to tow it! This Blows!

Old 07-30-2006, 06:46 PM
cbdodge

i had the same problem with my '06 3500 ctd. it was the starter. warranty covered tow and fix.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:44 AM
xcomandos

Starter sol is usually the problem.

HOWEVER,
You may have a nuetral safety switch problem though...
The easy way to check for nuetral safety switch is turn key to on position, make sure truck has emergency brake on, put in reverse when it is not running but key is in on position, go outside and see if reverse lights are on ...if not then it is the nuetral safety switch.

If it is the nuetral safety switch... have the dealer put it on so if it goes out again they will replace it free

It could be a relay but that is unlikely and should be checked by a diesel tech or take it to the dealer
You can find out how to check the relay in a repair manual...I believe haynes repair manual has a how to on relays

Old 07-31-2006, 02:34 PM
jakebrake
Champion

most of the time with the starter selonoid you can take a small hammer and tap on it then try starting the truck. I have gotten a few trucks started this way so that they could get to the repair shop.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you hear the click it isnt the solenoid, it is the starter itself. the click you hear is the bendix slamming forward, but the motor isnt turning.

your starter is bad.

Quick Reply: Help!...Engine