Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

question about brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006 | 10:38 PM
usafr
|
All Star
Default question about brakes

My 2006, 2500 has a 6 pin trailer light connecter along with the flat 5 pin below. I checked the manual and it says that on of the pins on the round 6 pin connector is for electric brakes. Am I correct in thinking that I have to add a seperate controller to this system for the electric brakes to work? The manual does not go into any detail on the trailer connectons.

Old 08-15-2006 | 12:18 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Default RE: question about brakes

You are correct in assuming that you need to add an electric brake controller. If you buy a good one they often have a prewired harness available that you can just plug in and go. I did this with the Prodigy brake controller from Tekonsha. I bought their wire harness for another $15 or so and the hardest part of the install was finding a place to mount the control.

By the way the round is a 7 pin and the flat is a 4 pin.

Old 08-15-2006 | 12:21 AM
gtxpooch
All Star

Mine has same connections, I pulled my controller off the other truck (97)before I traded it in. I haven't reinstalled it in the 06 yet.

Old 08-15-2006 | 12:40 AM
gtxpooch
All Star

I have a Tekonsha Voyager control. It has 4 wires comong out, black(marked 30 amp max) , red(brake sense input?) white(ground) and blue(trailer brake) How do I find the right wires to connect to? The ground says it must go to the battery. I'm assuming the trailer brake wire conects to the harness somewhere right?

Old 08-15-2006 | 01:29 AM
usafr
|
All Star

Thanks for the info. guys, it is cool of Dodge to prewire this, as my 2003 Silverado wasn't wired at all.

Old 08-15-2006 | 09:37 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

If your truck came with the "trailer tow prep" ie already has the 7 pin connector and the hitch, it should also have come with the pigtail harness to attach those wires to. The pig tail has a plug on one end that pulgs in under the dash behind the parking brake on the fire wall. When my truck was delivered I and the salesman thought my truck was missing the pig tail, so he got me one for free. It turns out there is two storage compartments in the center seat, one in the arm rest and one in the seat bottom. I found the original harness in the seat bottom. It has the wire names with it, just hook em up right and plug it in. If you can't find yours go to the dealer and tell them it was missing, they might give you one too.

Old 08-15-2006 | 11:14 PM
usafr
|
All Star

Thanks for that piece of info. I have the pigtail, saw it when I bought the truck, but I never knew what it was for. Now thanks to you, I know. I was wondering where and how to plug in brake controller,,, this gets easier and easier all the time.

Old 08-16-2006 | 08:33 PM
troop
Rookie

I hooked mine up right next to the e-brake, there is a screw right there, you get used to it. It's between the brake and the computer plug in. On the previous dodge I screwed it onto the panel, didn't like it plus I could never seem to get it level.

Old 08-17-2006 | 01:37 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I can be long winded huh? Did you find the plug in location ok ?

Quick Reply: question about brakes