Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Adjustable Timing Sensor (5.9 common rail Cummins)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 06:14 PM
ride0169
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Timing Sensor (5.9 common rail Cummins)

Adjustable Timing Sensor (5.9 common rail Cummins) Has anyone put this on there rig, any pros and cons? Do you adjust the timing on this thing while driving or under the hood adjusting? thanks

Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Splicer
Default RE: Adjustable Timing Sensor (5.9 common rail Cummins)

I am thinking about this as well. The web site says increased power, mpg, and lower egt. Why don't these trucks come from the factory with the timing advanced 1 or 2 degrees?

I am just looking for a little extra when I step on the throttle, visibility isn't the greatest pulling out of my subdivision and I want my truck to go when I step on it, somtimes things are a little to close for me.

I could get a Smarty or other programer but would like to keep my warranty.

Thanks

Old 08-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when DC and Cummins worked on these engines they set the engine to run at the best fuel effency and power possable, so around 15.5 degrees of timeing if memory serves me is where they have the timeing set. when you increase the timeing many things happen: the air charge is under more pressure, the air charge is a bit hotter since it is under higher pressure(boyle's law). now since we have this higher pressure and temprature, adn diesel engines are compression ignition engions, this means with a slight advancee in timeing, 2 degrees, the diesel will burn with more verocity since there is the higher pressure and tempreature.

from what I have read about this little guy is it is a very good mod. fuel mileage is increased, slight power gains (not much but there are some) and a smoother ideling engine are some of the reports.

now from what I have heard about Smarty, it is pretty much the only programmer that when the computer is set back to factory specs, it is untraceable, however I know there is someway around it if DC digs deep enough, but with a quick OBDII scan by the dealership they cannot see it.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:38 AM
zach_deerefan

I had a rokk tech crank sensor on before I got a programmer. noticed a little more power, hard to tell it was there sometimes? As far as fuel milage went, i changed to a bigger tire about the same time I put the rokk tech on, but fuel milage only drop about .5mpg. since then i've purchased a diablo sport programer, i fuel has been up about 1.5 to 3 not very consistant. this is on the tow setting which i'm told is all it changes is timing? for seventy or so bucks i don't think you can go to wrong with the rokk tech sensor

Old 08-16-2006, 12:37 AM
MikeyB
Professional

I have a Rokktech on my truck. Best gains is below 2k rpms. Will see better fuel economy if the rpms is kept below 2k. Above 2k no difference than stock. Also notice the power surge at 2k rpms stock moved down to 1500 rpms with the additional timing. And there's a drop in EGTs, around 100-150 degrees. This is a great little mod if your running pressure or a duration only box. I'm running a Edge EZ at level 2 (50hp) and it helps keep the EGTs under control while towing.

MikeyB

Old 08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

have you ever adjusted the timing since putting the edge on? i'd be curious to see what affects there are after a further adjustment would be, both in mileage and performance.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:38 PM
MikeyB
Professional

Still running the Rokktech at full advanced with the EZ. If you have a performance box that does timing also then adjustments will have to be made.

MikeyB

Old 08-16-2006, 05:03 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: MikeyB

Still running the Rokktech at full advanced with the EZ. If you have a performance box that does timing also then adjustments will have to be made.

MikeyB
did you ever play with the amount of advance for mpg purposes?

Old 08-17-2006, 01:22 AM
MikeyB
Professional

No, I didn't. My truck has always delivered good fuel economy. I get around 18mpg town and up to 23 mpg highway.
The main reason I installed the Rokktech is the additional power gain at the lower rpms and to drop the EGTs. And later on I added the EZ. Fuel economy is still about the same if I don't leadfoot it.

MikeyB

Old 08-17-2006, 05:19 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ok, thanks. must be nice getting 18 in the city... I cant even get that on the hiway...

Quick Reply: Adjustable Timing Sensor (5.9 common rail Cummins)