Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

injector pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:58 AM
mossy765
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injector pump

ok guys how do u turn up a 2nd gen injector pump is it the same precdure as the 1st gen 12 valves

Old 08-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Batphreak
Veteran
Default RE: injector pump

Not the same at all. Gotta use electronic toys to turn up the 24V engines. Smarty, TST, and edge seem to be the most popular ones. Drew and others have a lot more info on them than me. I'm too scared to crank mine up, the tranny is still under warranty and I'm too skittish about blowing the VP44.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first thing I would do is dump the stock fuel filter mounted pump and put on something a bit more reliable. second Batphreak is right, any of those will do the job well.

you'll also need a boost bolt in order to achieve higher than 25-30 pounds on your turbo, this will vent some of the boost pressure to fool the waste gate into opening later so you can lower EGT's.

if you dont have a boost, EGT, trans temp and fuel pressure gage I would reccomend installing them and get a base line before you install any power adders.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:26 AM
mossy765
Professional

well actually i awas talkin bout the 2nd gen 12 valve cummins which i think are 1994-1998.5 sorry bout the confusion

Old 08-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Batphreak
Veteran

Ah, those are much simpler. Fuel plate for that P7100:

This is just an example, there are lots out there, just hit up Google.

Fuel stop plates

Old 08-18-2006, 03:06 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 95' CTD. First thing I did naturally was the air intake. I went with the AFE Brute Force setup. Works, and cleans nice. Next thing I did was the Bosch 390 marine injector setup. Then the turbo, the exhaust, a #10 fuel plate, and a 3000 rpm governor kit. Not being cocky but my Ram hauls ***. BUT...lol, along with that much power, a few other things need to be addressed. The torque converter, the tranny to a certain extent, and then a few small things. I installed a ATS Diesel 5-star tc. I had my entire tranny rebuilt with all heavy duty shift kit, bands, and a few valve body mods. I have always heard that the 47/48 rh trannys were pretty tough. The drums and the planetaries are well built. The pumps are no where close to what is out there today.

What makes it worth while for me is the fact that all my mods are mechanical. None of this "plug in a chip" crap...lol. I don't swim in that circle. Second gens are by far the best for getting big horses. I can get 28 mph on the highway @ 72 mph. My EGT's are no more than 800, my boost is 5-7 lbs depending on the air, and my tranny NEVER exceeds 190 degrees. In lock-up mode it never climbs above 165 degrees. No bragging but as far as crusing goes, those numbers can't be beat. I monitor all functions with professional gauges.

Your motor will last forever if it's operated within the design specs. Watch the temps, add lubricants, and make them Fords and Chevys eat black gold all day long.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: injector pump