Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Gear Vendors vs U.S. Gear "Splitters"

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 04:35 PM
JohnInNH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Vendors vs U.S. Gear "Splitters"

I think the only way I will resolve my gearing problem (6 speed with 3:73's) is to get a splitter

If I get a + 6 mpg increase 23 mpg vs 17 which I believe I can get it will take about 60,000 miles to break even cost wise. I sold my last truck with 150,000 miles so it will eventually get my $ back. then would save $400-$850 a year on fuel after the pay back point.

It is just hard to come up with the $ now after getting the truck, a new cap, AND a plow. I still need snows and rims, big mat and tail gate liner or spray bed protection. So I'm not close to finished spending yet.

It looks like it's either a Gear Vendors overdrive or a U.S. Gear "Dual Range" splitter.

Can any one here help me understand the differences and the best choice to just add final drive "gear" so I can go 1850-1900 RPM at 70 MPH.

I would love to learn about these units before shelling out the big $.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gear Vendors vs U.S. Gear "Splitters"

I cant realy compare the two, both units are very good, the only thing is this. the gear vendors goes on the tail shaft of the tranny for 2x4's and the tail shaft of the transfer on 4x4's and the rear drive shaft has to be shortened. this means you cannot 4x4 with the unit on.

the U.S gear goes in the same place on both 2wd and 4wd. the frint drive shaft has to be lengthened and the rear shortened, but you are able to use 4wd if you need.

Ive been looking at them as well, but again, I have a hard time digging into my pockets like you.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:23 PM
JohnInNH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gear Vendors vs U.S. Gear "Splitters"

I spent a while on the phone... US Gear has dropped a lot of applications.

I think the Gear Vendors is the way to go for MY needs. I do not need to split all the gears. Will ONLY need in 2x4.

It is easier to take with you when you sell the truck as all you do is remove and lengthen the rear drive shaft the 13.75" you cut before.

Then get the new adapter for your new truck ..

It is pricey. But after doing some math. It will be break even in less than 2 years. Then $ in my pocket. If fuel goes UP in price the savings will return faster. Worst case break even in 3 years then make $400 a year (at 310 a gallon) Best case break even in 2 then $850 a year in my pocket (to spend on fuel). When gas and diesel goes to $4 I will be waiting in line to get one!

It will cut my 2400 RPM to 1870 RPM on the highway at the speed I like to drive. Unit only takes 1 hp per 400 hp to run. (loss) With an econo mode "box" TST Zilla Smartie.... I am 100% sure I will get 22-23 MPG at the least at 70 MPH. that's +6 MPG you can do some math. Is better than tires and rims which at that size start to rob power and MPG.

I plan now on ordering the 57 lb unit in the middle of Sep at the soonest and end of Nov at the latest.

Makes "cents" to me.

Quick Reply: Gear Vendors vs U.S. Gear "Splitters"