Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Questions installing a FASS fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Rev800
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions installing a FASS fuel pump?

I’m going to be installing a FASS fuel pump in my 2001 Ram this weekend and I have a couple questions.

1. Is it easier to drop the fuel tank or can you leave it in place?

2. Does the 2001 have a fuel heater and if so is there any additional steps needed to maintain the heater with the FASS system?

3. How long does it typically take to install, I’m relatively mechanically inclined?

4. Where can you purchase the Fuel and Water filters for the FASS pump?

Thanks again in advance for any help or thoughts. This site is an excellent resource and I have benefited greatly by many of the past posts.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:19 PM
duneschick
Professional
Default RE: Questions installing a FASS fuel pump?

I will watch this forum. Let me know if it was easier to do it yourself or have someone else do it.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need to drop the tank unless you are installing a big line kit. the fuel heater is in the fuel filter canister. most of the time the stock fuel filter is left in place, the stock lift pump removed and the adapter put in place for the retrofit for the FASS. This can be installed in about a day if you take your time and route the fuel lines and electrical lines like you want.

I take it you got the FASS I kit that includes filters, these filters can be obtained at any retailer online or walk in that sells the system.

you can do a google search and find a few how to's when installing the pump.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Rev800

Thanks Drew! I purchased the FASS system 95gph flow rate…it does have the water/fuel filters.

So the heater is in the new FASS fuel filter canister, or the factory canister? The reason I ask is it appears, from what I've read, you bypass the factory filter and connect directly to the PV44 and if this is the case and the heater is in the factory canister I loose my fuel heating capability.

I also recently installed the Edge Juice with monitor and one of the nice features of the monitor is the fuel pressure gauge which requires the removal of the original banjo bolt on the pump and installing the Edge sensor, if I install the FASS system they require me to install the new fuel line to this same port on the pump thus loosing my ability to monitor fuel pressure through the edge juice monitor…Is there away to keep the edge monitor sensor or do I need to get a separate fuel pressure gauge and tie into the FASS pump?

Old 08-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the easiest way to install the new pump would be to remove the old carter filter mounted crap pump and just plumb the fass into the stock filter canister. that way you wont loose the fuel heating capability for the cold months, and you will still have the fuel pressure monitor through edge.

I dont think the FASS has fuel heating capabilities, it is only to pump/filter.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Rev800

Thanks so much Drew!

Old 08-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Rev800

FASS system is now in and I love it. There really isn't much to it...the hardest part was drilling out the two mounting holes. It did help to have someone else helping me especially to hold the mounting bracket. Removed the old lift pump and plumb the new fuel line into the old factory filter. Total of 2 hours for the install. If you have any mechanical ability it won't be a problem. One piece of advice would be to cap or remove the old fuel line...I didn't do this and in my rush to test drive fuel leaked out of the old line and I thought I had a leak coming from one of the hoses. Another note it did take 15-20 minutes to prime the fuel system but I had also replaced the VP44 injector pump at the same time so I’m sure that was part of the problem.

Quick Reply: Questions installing a FASS fuel pump?