Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Qeustions about the beast?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 01:19 AM
titan2087
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qeustions about the beast?

Hey guys how are you? Any how ill cut to the point im looking into getting a diesel but dont no squat about them. I mean i can make my way around a gasoline engine fairly well and if given time could do the same with a diesel . But what my qeustions are how do they hold up with higher milage on them such as 180,000 plus miles? i understand they can last way into the thousands mark and still run strong especially the cummins but still figured id confirm this? Do they hold togther or do they end up costing a arm and leg putting new parts in them even if taken care off with all the reg matince and such? Also a bigger concern is the tranny as its a automatice.. i no on the regular gas engines that dodge offers, the automatic trannys start going to crap around 80k miles unless you got a manuel and the 4.7ls automatic tranny seems to hold togther... but how do they last on the diesel? is it way past its time over 100k or is it still good to go for another couple hundred with matince and such of cource? And whats the things to watch out for in the 2001 6 cylinder diesel? Thancks for any input i relize i must sound like and idoit haha but hell only way to learn is ask stuped qeustions and get railed haha any how thanks for any help.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:11 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Qeustions about the beast?

Read through the posts here in the cummins diesel forum and you'll learn alot, I can guarantee it! The only "stupid question" is the one that's not asked! There are a lot of CTD smart people here.

The following users liked this post:
Timothy Fontenot (02-01-2020)
Old 08-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Ralph78
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Qeustions about the beast?

Titan,
This is a great forum, and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here that help us newbys. I am sure no expert on the subject, as I picked up my first diesel in June. After 6 months of research. I chose the Dodge because of the Cummins Diesel. Everything I have seen about the Cummins Turbo Diesel indicates that with proper maintaince they will last 500,000 + miles with no major problems.

I did not want truck payments, so after a LOT of evaluation and searching a number of Diesel Forums, I chose the early 1998 Dodge 12 Valve Quad Cab. (good mileage, fewer problems with the lift and injector pumps, 4 doors), it had 141,000 miles on it and had been very well taken care of. I would avoid the 1998.5 through 2001 or perhaps 2002 Ram 2500/3500 CTD because of problems with the lift/injector pumps, the series 53 engine blocks cracking and glitches in the electronic controls for everything related to engine/transmission operations.

The automatic transmissions and Torque Converters are the weak points in the dodge 2500 and 3500 Ram's. My solution to that was to get a very well equipped early 1998 that had a slipping/chattering TC and Trans., (bargin price due to the trans) then I had a top of the line ATS Trans and TC installed, making it pretty much bullet proof. A lower cost way to go on the transmission is to have a GOOD shop obtain all of the HD internals and a good Billet TC and have your transmission rebuild. I went with the ATS Stage 5 with a billet input shaft and 5 Star TC because the They come with a 150,000 mile/3 year WT, ATS does not have an upper limit on HP, so they expect them to stand up to anything. There are a number of other good transmissions/TC combinications out there.

As my truck came with a "Gear Vendor" overdrive on it, I was not worried about the limitations of the 4 speed auto when towing. (BIG RPM drop between 3rd and OD) The 5 speed manual is probably a better bet, but I believe there may be issues about replacement parts for the transmission. Others on this forum will have much better info on this than myself.

One important suggestion, if you are going to be towing a lot, I would strongly recommend a the 3500 Dualie RWD with Posi. About 80% of the miles I put on my trucks are towing 5,000-8,000 Lb. Oil Well Chemical Treatment Tank Trailers and once I went to a Dualie 5 years ago, I decided to never tow extensively with anything less. I know a lot of people do, but I like the added safety and control of the dual wheels in the back. (blowing out a rear tire on a curve while towing with Ford 2500 was a bit exciting, I like putting my dirt track super stock sideways, but not my tow vehicle). The main drawback is the added difficulty maneuvering in heavy trafic due to the width.

If you find a well cared for truck with 180,000 miles on it, have the trans checked by a good shop and then deal accordingly and go for it.

Ralph

Quick Reply: Qeustions about the beast?