Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Silencer Ring, Curved Air Director, Baffle Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:58 PM
oldVOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silencer Ring, Curved Air Director, Baffle Pipe

OK, so I've got the silencer ring out and noticed that there is a curved vane air director inside the elbow at the turbo inlet. Should this stay in place or should I yank it out?

Also, regarding the baffle pipe, how the heck do you get the center section out?
I've read the posts about cutting three tabs but for the life of me can see any tabs.
Can I just substitute a 5" section of PVC pipe in place of the baffle pipe?
The OD of 5" PVC is very close to the OD of the baffle pipe. I don't think there needs to be a relief for the bands to bite down as there isn't any pressure on the inlet end of the turbo.

Thoughts on any of the above appreciated.

'06 2500 CTD QC SLT 4x4

Old 08-25-2006, 11:25 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Silencer Ring, Curved Air Director, Baffle Pipe

Are you talking about when you look right into the compressor after the silencer ring is removed? Is there straight thru holes inbetween those tabs? I thought it was solid all the way. I could very well be wrong. I am too lazy to go disconnect my intake pipe and look.lol.

Those groves or whatever you want to call them that are behind the slincer ring, I would imagine have a purpose. I have repaired Hale fire pumps on apparatus for years and the intake or "eye" of the impeller also had fins just in front of the impeller itself. They are part of the pump housing. On a fire pump it's purpose was to stop intake water from being swirled just prior to it hitting that impeller. The water needs to come in as a straight column. Because the water now has a spinning motion to it, it has to travel farther to get to the impellor eye. More friction is built up. The silencer ring stops noise, but the design behind assists in preventing turbulence.

As far as using PVC, I don't know if you could secure it with a clamp. There is pressure in that pipe during deacceleration. Have you ever held your pedal wide open and then when you let off, you hear a "whosh". Well, a split second ago you had that compressor screaming. Now the throttle has slammed shut and the air pressure surges backwards out through the compressor. Unless your motor is dialed way up, there's no massive pressure. I would say there is enough to pop off a PVC pipe though.

Again, these are just my opinions. I know a 95 Ram pretty well. No offesne but why would you want to mutilate an 06'??????...lol

Good luck.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 PM
oldVOR

The curved vane air director piece that I mentioned is inside the rubber elbow that is just in front of the turbo intake inlet.

I think that the X baffle can be removed by cutting off the very ends of both sides of the tube and I think the tabs I am referring to are the lips on the very ends of the baffle tube itself.

Why modify it, probably for the same reason you modified your '95, because we can and its what we do......

Old 08-26-2006, 01:31 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be confused. I am not talking about any piping to the turbo, I'm talking about the turbo itself. Are these the tabs you are talking about?

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/F85A59DACD2642AFA705E26172CAB6E9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-26-2006, 11:46 AM
oldVOR

No, I'm not messing with the turbo itself. With exception of removing the silencer ring which is already out. What I was describing is the intake tubes and all the stuff on the inside of the tubes (X baffle, curved air director in elbow).

Old 08-26-2006, 01:25 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

VOR,

I know the fins youre talking about. There are in the flex elbow that attaches in front of the turbo. I cant say about increase / decrease in performance etc without them as I left them in.

I did however replace that down pipe with the perforated "X" devider. I got a polished staight pipe from Geneos Garage to open it up and dress it up a little.

It didnt have any grooves for the 2 flex pipes to bite on to and held just fine and I push upwards of 40-42 psi when I really get on it. Now, I must say when I had it on I could hear a little more torbo and it looked cool in the compartment and the truck seemed to perform just fine.

But, I did notice when I really got on it I noticed some intermitent spikes or maybe more like hesitations in my spool up. Off the line was fine but when I put the hammer down the psi's would progress (quickly ) to 30 as usual and then hesitate before jumping to 40. I didnt like that as the 40-42 psi is pushing the stock turbo as it is I didnt like the idea of that sudden surge.

So long story short. I think you could be fine with the pvc. I would just make sure its rated for a higher temp as that down pipe is only about 3" from the manifold. Secondly if you try the pvc and like it I could be persuaded to part with the polished pipe for around $25 U.S. ($56 new) plus shipping.

Good luck.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:02 PM
QWKNESS

I yanked my silencer ring, but had the same thought. I think it's not there so much to silence things as it is to stop turbulance. I also left in the air deflector in the bottom elbow as it seemed to have a good purpose of helping the air turn 90degrees and enter the turbo head on.

I think I am going to put the ring back in, I think I noticed a slight bit of extra lag with it out and it's not really much louder. I also left the center section alone, but I think I am going to replace the airbox and that center section with an AirAid system and their MIT tube.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:05 PM
oldVOR

BlkRam69, Thanks for the tips and the offer, I'll see how it goes with the swap. Also, sent you an pm.

Quick Reply: Silencer Ring, Curved Air Director, Baffle Pipe