Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 12:14 AM
zram2500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges

Looking to see what everyone is running for gauges. I want to get fuel pressure and egt, I think? Brand, mechanical or electrical on fp? Been a rash of Autometer break downs on the forums lately, although seems they're stepping up and taking care of most. Best setup for 2002 (A Pillar)? Exhaust is on order, gauges next, and really leaning toward a Quad, probably XZT but maybe more. Maybe the Commander might be the best choice? Not really looking to bomb it, just kick it up a little and get some better mileage.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:06 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gauges

I use all Autometer Cobalt series exclusively. My only complaint is they are too bright if they are not toned down a bit. I have four gauges now and each has a seperate dimmer. They use a 10,000 ohm variable pot EACH! There's so much resistance there that's it's not wise to run them off the dash lighting. The headlight switch used to get hot. I used my cig lighter power. I don't smoke.lol. I have a boost, EGT, tranny, and volt meter. I prefer the full sweep gauges.

And I cannot remember where I got the gauge pod.

I will try to insert an image. Hope this works.

Good luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/3FCDBF0DDA47460F880C3025911054B0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-26-2006, 11:49 AM
donnie
Professional

I have Isspro EGT and Boost gauges mounted on the pillar.
IMO,they match the stock dash almost perfect.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:46 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

EGT, Boost, and Tranny temp Autometer Phantom series.

The kit I bought came with a pillar mount but I use the assist handle everytime I get in so I went with a dash mount.

The guages match my '06 as far as apperence real well during the day. I just wish they would "black out" like the others at night.

You can paint it to match (it comes black) but I was anxious to get it in and now I think I'll just leave it.

A link is the best I could do. Couldnt figure out how to get it in the post.

https://dodgeforum.com/photo.asp?pho...Type=6&apage=1

Old 08-29-2006, 12:53 AM
zram2500

Thanks for the response and pictures, thought we'd have a bit more input than this. Any thoughts or users for the Quadzillz Commander?

Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not breakin ***** or anything but how much more "input" were you looking for? Is there a certain topic or aspect you want more detaled info on?

I can tell you that my Autometer Cobalts have performed flawlessly. I paid $620.00 for all 4 with express shipping. Install was super easy, and they came with plenty of tubing/wire. Like I said, my only complaint was how bright they are, and I addressed that on my own with some electronic parts.

The boost gauge piped right into the intake manifold. For the EGT gauge I removed my turbo and drilled/tapped right into the exhaust manifold where the turbo bolts up to. Regardless of gauge choice, always take care with the shavings from drilling. I stuffed a cloth way up into the manifold, and had a magnet up into the casting as well. The transmission had a port where I was able to tap for the temp gauge.

Protect all the wires and tubing with good convoluted tubing, and for the boost gauge, I decided to keep the MAP sensor inside the cab. The volt meter can obviously be hooked up anywhere you wish. I used my cig lighter circuit. Just be careful how you illuminated them. If you add them to the vehicle's dash lighting, be careful. You're adding quite a bit of resistance when you go to dim them.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:15 AM
Ralph78
Professional

Banks: Trans Temp, EGT, and Turbo Boost in a banks 3 pod dash mount.

Lighting is rather dim, so I don't have to worry about pulling excess amps on the lighting cir..

Old 08-31-2006, 01:36 AM
zram2500

Diesel Demon, your info was right on the money. Don't know how to make the kind of adaptions you did, and with that kind of info I could avoid the added hassle and expense. That's the beauty of this forum. Thanks for everyones input!

Quick Reply: Gauges