Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

A/C Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: A/C Clutch

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

And check the metering valve. In fact, just replace it. When you pull that valve out, check the screens. If they are clogged with little specs, it's metal from the compressor and confirmation that there is a major problem. At that point, ur screwed.
The valve you are talking about is a.k.a the orifice tube (it reduced the line pressure from the condensor to the evaperator), correct?
And, I've heard about the "you gotta replace the accumulator when replacing the compressor" rule.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:25 PM
cptdarel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86

ORIGINAL: silverram99

No disrespect, but I'd will be interested to see if you complete this task with the compressor still attached to the vehicle. Thanks.

Good luck.
I'm with you on that one.

I know they are an expensive part but you might as well go with a new one. You will most likely end up replacing the compressor at one time or another anyway. But again, good luck.
I kinda agree.
A new clutch from makeitmopar.com is $153 ($204 from dealer).
A new compressor from makeitmopar.com is $333 ($444 from dealer).

From NAPA a new compressor with clutch $470. A reman. compressor with clutch is $380. (Autozone and O'Reilly are about $100 less for both new and reman.)

That way, I mean, your paying some more money, but, you know the compressor is good. (And I can post the instructions for the removal/installation if needed).
and don't forget the extra or special tools one may have to buy to do the task!
go new!

Old 09-01-2006, 01:37 AM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86

And check the metering valve. In fact, just replace it. When you pull that valve out, check the screens. If they are clogged with little specs, it's metal from the compressor and confirmation that there is a major problem. At that point, ur screwed.
The valve you are talking about is a.k.a the orifice tube (it reduced the line pressure from the condensor to the evaperator), correct?
And, I've heard about the "you gotta replace the accumulator when replacing the compressor" rule.
Yeah I hate to say it but usually to get a compressor warrantied you have to replace the filter/dryer and the orifice tube. It gets expensive but if your compressor is screwed then you get to buy a new one anyway and because they don't sell them withouth the clutch you wasted the time and money you spent replacing it in the first place. Now its a question of what your A/C is really worth to you..............

Old 09-01-2006, 10:34 AM
rboehm

Well, thanks for all of the advice and I was concerned about getting enough room to actually pull the clutch without damaging anything else. I did find that AutoZone has all of the special tools needed to pull the clutch - but again - if something else is wrong, then I have spent the time and effort uselessly.

My plan is to do this.

1. check the R134 pressure. If anyone knows what this should be without the compressor running, it would be helpful. I know that I really can't finalize it until the compressor is running.

2. pull the serpentine belt and see how the compressor turns by hand.

3. loosen up the compressor to see how much room I can actually get.

Then make a decision about simply replacing the compressor. I did check that I would have to replace the dryer and orifice to keep the warrantee on the new compressor. Then it means taking it to someone who can evacuate the entire system and refill it. All in all, not cheap, but living in Texas means that A/C is important. The warrantee did not seem to depend on replacing the accumulator - but do you think that is vital?

I hope to try this during this weekend, but don't know if I will get to it. I will keep posting my results periodically so others can learn. That is the real value of these forums - and all of the help and advice we get from each other. The real kicker is that this is actually my son's truck and he is deployed at the moment. Of course it failed on my watch - so since I feel he is doing his part for our country, I should take care of him.

Thanks for all of the advice and I would appreciate any procedure about replacing all of these parts if I have to.

Rodney

Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something just came to mind too. Your truck is fairly new. I would disconnect the wiring from the clutch itself before removing the compressor. Now replace the blown fuse and turn the a/c system on. See if the fuse blows while the compressor is unhooked. This is just a way to make sure that the wiring itself is not at fault. I have seen some Rams where wires chafe thru due to the trucks vibrations. You're probaby right about the clutch magnet being burned out but just double check so you know the wiring is good.

Hope that wasn't too confusing....lol. And sorry it came to me this late......lol.

Good luck with that.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:10 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

He said "orifice"...........uh huh huh huh.....

Old 09-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Drew
Professional

He said "orifice"...........uh huh huh huh.....
uuuhhhh. .. huhhh hu huhuhuh

Old 09-01-2006, 07:07 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

LMAO.................LOL

that's funny.lol

Old 09-04-2006, 02:49 AM
Irish4u1978
Professional

Good idea to unplug coil to see if fuse blows to make sure wiring is good. My brother has an 01 and 215k miles, and has changed the clutch twice. His compressor is working ok. I would only consider changing the compressor if I was 100% sure it had to be done.
Kevin

Old 09-05-2006, 01:29 AM
rboehm

One of the first things I did was to unplug the wire to see if the short still exists. It did. I then put in a new fuse and turned the A/C off. Started the engine and checked the fuse. It was still good. Then I turned on the A/C and looked at the compressor. It was not turning and the fuse was blown.

I guess it is not my day! That is all I have been able to do thus far. I hope that I will be able to get to it this week and post my progress. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Rodney

Quick Reply: A/C Clutch