Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hunting for a gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:36 AM
derrelw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunting for a gear?

About a month ago I noticed that while cruising along at 40-45 mph just barely touching the gas my truck was hunting for a gear, or that's what it felt like. Rpm's would go up and down about 1000 rpms. I took it to a buddy's transmission shop and he got no codes from the engine or transmission. He replaced all of the transmission related electronics and installed a new shift kit. It still did the same thing. I unplugged the Banks Ottominder and drove it. It still did it. I disconnected both of the negitive cables from the batteries and let it sit for a while. Reconnected everything, drove it and now it seems fine. WTF!!!!!
Any input?
Automatic transmission btw.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hunting for a gear?

#1. your main ground wire needs to be replaced, #2, the battery terminal clamps need to be cleaned, #3, you have a wire that has been rubbed through on the tranny wireing harness by a hanger.

either one will give you the same problems and make you think you have major tranny troubles when it all comes down to an electrical signal that is getting confused with the computer and causeing the torque converter to unlock or it to 'hunt' for a gear.

Quick Reply: Hunting for a gear?