Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bio Diesel, Drew's Brew and more

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:00 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bio Diesel, Drew's Brew and more

Has anyone ran any B20 in their CTD yet? There is a gas station here in town that has just started to offer it and I'd like to start using it but have a few questions.

Other than the B20 cleaning out my fuel tank and lines and possibly clogging the fuel filter, is there anything else I need to be aware of before using the B20?

Is it safe to use Drew's Brew in B20? Is Drew's Brew even needed since the biodiesel has better lubricating properties?

Bob

Old 08-31-2006, 01:44 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: Bio Diesel, Drew's Brew and more

how is it the b20 would clean your tank but clog your filter? is it the gunk in the tank your expecting to do the clogging or is it something in the b20?

Old 08-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

diesel is very dirty fuel, and the glycerine in diesel settles out and captures alot of this gunk. when you introduce Bio into the mix it actualy dissolves this gunk that is in the tank and collecting in the fuel lines and the filter catches it. I wouldnt be surprized if you have to change the filter atleast twice to get all the gunk.

Now, heres the deal with Bio and the 'Brew'. I wouldnt use it with Bio. bio has far more lubrication than what PS and MMO can offer and your VP44 will thank you for it. Although the downside of Bio is the cetane rateing is a bit lower, I wouldnt be concerned with it. I'd say run it if you want and dont look back.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:39 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Yes the bio dissolves all of the funk and sludge in your tank and lines. I guess it wouldn't hurt to clean that stuff out every now and then anyway.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll try it once I burn out the PS, MMO mix I have in there now.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:40 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Drew

diesel is very dirty fuel, and the glycerine in diesel settles out and captures alot of this gunk. when you introduce Bio into the mix it actualy dissolves this gunk that is in the tank and collecting in the fuel lines and the filter catches it. I wouldnt be surprized if you have to change the filter atleast twice to get all the gunk.
OK, so bio-diesel is actually cleaner than conventional diesel?
I know that my old-hometowns newspaper featured and article a few years back that a local school district started using a certain percent biodiesel (can't remember the blend, probably B20), and they interviewed a maintenance person, and he said they have extended life on their fuel filters (as well as no real "cold weather" problems some people claim bio has), and they said a few other things. So after all the gunk is cleaned out of the tank, will the fuel filter not clog as fast?
(Of course, I know your supposed to replace the filter long before it clogs )

Old 08-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, Bio is much cleaner since it isnt actualy refined, it just has a few processing procedures to remove alot of the glycerine.

one of these days I'm gunna build my own Bio still in my basement. I have the space and acess to the containers and certian chemicals needed for titration, I just need an old but still useable water heater

Old 08-31-2006, 08:57 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I ran a tank of B20 last week with the "brew" the truck ran like a champ (like it always does) and it was the best single tank ecoonomy I have gotten yet. It was 18.244MPG hand calc, every tank is hand calc and filled to the top of the filler neck. It really pisses off people waiting behind me while I sqeeze the extra fuel in there.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:48 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

I ran a tank of B20 last week with the "brew" the truck ran like a champ (like it always does) and it was the best single tank ecoonomy I have gotten yet. It was 18.244MPG hand calc, every tank is hand calc and filled to the top of the filler neck. It really pisses off people waiting behind me while I sqeeze the extra fuel in there.
what do you normally get for mpg? I'd go for it in a heartbeat if it were available here... nearest station is 60 miles away

Old 09-05-2006, 12:58 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Normally get 17 - 17.5MPG but it is still climbing, only 5600 on the clock. I did notice better economy with my old truck on B-20. It might be that the local dino is just crappy quality, and the local b20 is good quality fuel.

Quick Reply: Bio Diesel, Drew's Brew and more