Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

deisels cats and me

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:16 PM
dixiedodge7369
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deisels cats and me

okkk so i have a 06 2500 cummins of course... 6 speed4500 miles i have a few things here ive been pondering... as of now completly stock have a S&B intake on the way as we speed for the noise... next will be some exhaust.. but back to the story sooo latly ive been babying her just to skip on the fuel and see what numbers i can rake in ... but ive noticed ever since ive been babying her anytime i do get on the throttle we got some smoke out the tail pipe.. now im a VW tech and ive messed with my fair share of TDI's i know they have problems with the intake systems getting all plugged up and cats getting all plugged with with LOTs of stop and go traffic and people who drive slow... so heres my question regarding cats i know on VW if u take the cat out on a deisel or any other model for that matter power goes to 0 faults are thrown in ever control module u can speak of... even putting a high flo or non stock cat with trigger faults up the a**.. so is it worth removing the cat completly from the cummins... with out throwing faults like mad i know theres no O2s but u never know what systems these ECM s are cking and when... also any power increase from removing the cat/?? for exhaust im looking at these stacks which are just plan coool but i want it loud as possible but i do wanna put some sort of muffler or resonator to keep my low end... so any thoughts on the cat situation on these???

Old 09-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: deisels cats and me

my kitty ran away a few months ago. no codes, no real loss in power, EGT's might have gone down 50-75F max. I have a 04.5 BTW, same setup you do for the most part. however it does depend on what area you live in and how the state enforces emissions laws. in Georgia there are no emissions requirements on Diesels, not even an inspection so my kitty is gone and I can get some good smoke shows going. Under stock conditions you'll have some smoke, perfectly normal, mine bairly smoked as well except when I realy got on it, now with my TST on I can smoke like a freight train and close intersections. I dont do it alot, but it's fun to make the headlights dissapear on people that **** you off in the morning traffic.

alot of people have had luck with the Aero Turbine muffler, adn this would make a good addon if you want stacks.

but just remember one thing about the cat, do some research before you take it off. if your state has emissions or visiual inspections then the cat has to stay, but no inspections it can go, but keep it handy, that bad boy is pricey.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:18 PM
usafr
All Star

Drew, how hard is it to hollow out the cat once its been removed. Will the filling come out fairly easy or would it be a better idea to just have it cut off and put in straight in 4"?

Old 09-11-2006, 03:35 AM
jakebrake
Champion

If you hallow the cat out you'll have problems passing emissions when they come around, and they will. If you got a visual inspection, I would leave it in place because the odds are that in a couple of years they will change the laws and start using sniffers. If you don't have any emissions, just use pipe and keep the cat around for when emissions come.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a straight 4 inch put in place of mine. will I pass emissions is a sniffer is used, yep. the cat is only there to burn unburned fuel, and the only time it is there is under hard acceleration. Ive only heard of a few cases of trucks failing emissions, but not in my area since they dont test Diesels.

now the filings of the cat, they come out easily.

Quick Reply: deisels cats and me