Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

remote starters??????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006 | 05:50 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: remote starters??????????

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

an add on to open my tonneau cover.
Whoa .... there's a device to automaticaly open a tonneau cover?

Does it still only lift from the rear, or can it lift / push up from all 4 corners?

Old 09-26-2006 | 06:04 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

it's a lock release, the top still comes up from the tailgate... snugtop sells a kit that runs $300 bux installed... this shop has them cheeper... $85 plus the install... they are not 100% sure this will work yet, they're still looking into it.

Old 09-26-2006 | 06:17 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I would LOVE a cover that lifts up from all 4 corners. That would be awesome, and it would solve a lot of the problems associated with covers.

Old 09-26-2006 | 06:30 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

there is a company that makes something similar to what your looking for... IIRC, it's hinged in such a way that you can access the sides and still lift the whole cover as one piece. Found it when I was looking for my cover.

Old 09-27-2006 | 12:41 AM
jagj52
Rookie

Here is where I ordered the one for my truck and the wife's durango.... cost just about $100 and only took about 1.5 hours to install on each one. http://bulldogsecurity.com/ It works great with my diesel and with her gasser, we live in N.E. Nevada and the winters get pretty harsh here (-10 to -60 come mid winter).

Old 09-27-2006 | 12:44 AM
troop
Rookie

I got one installed in my truck about 2 weeks ago it works great,,,,or did know it starts up and shuts off immediately, I talked to the guy he's gonna fix it says its common, lifetime warranty isn't a bad deal. Its a great option something you might want to think about that I discussed with him is the idle up feature. Were gonna rig it up so when i presss the unlock button the idle will go up just like hitting the cruise. Also if the place you go to tells ya that you gotta have an extra key they are full of it, thats the easy way out for them, I kept both my keys. One place i called said you gotta have an extra key because they are programmed.

Old 09-27-2006 | 12:54 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

well, got my truck back... remote start is sweet!!!

Old 09-27-2006 | 01:26 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

www.codealarm.com excelent systems, i installed r/s and security baught the system from ebay, brand new took about 4 hours to install myself whole system cost around 150 with all relays ect. this was on a dakota, the alarm has a wire that hooks into the wire that is on your dash that says wait to start, if light is on r/s will not fire untill this goes out, just look around decide hwat you need/want go from there.

Old 09-27-2006 | 02:42 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

It was my understanding from the owner’s manual that the 06-security system would interfere with a remote starter and not let it work, as the key needs to be in the ignition before it will start and stay running. Did I misunderstand what I read?[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 09-27-2006 | 06:39 PM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: DBLR

It was my understanding from the owner’s manual that the 06-security system would interfere with a remote starter and not let it work, as the key needs to be in the ignition before it will start and stay running. Did I misunderstand what I read?[sm=confused06.gif]
Actualy, thats correct. I'm not sure how the 05's or earlier work but in the 06, when you turn the key it sends a radio signal to the chip which responds with a code.
(Think RFID) If the system does not get a code, the engine promptly shuts off.
What they do with remote starts is add a device that learns one of these codes and has an antenna placed near the ignition lock. When the remote start starts the vehicle, it provides the code to the Rams anti theft system which says, ok you can start and keep running. What it doesnt do it disable the anti theft so that keeps working.
Beyond that I'm not sure but I'm learning.

The 06 Rams are a different animal electrically since the switched everything to the CAN Bus networking system. It makes following wires easy (adding lights, etc) but if you want to get really creative it gets much harder cause now you are essentialy dealing with a network.

Quick Reply: remote starters??????????