Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Vibration when first moving

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Squib
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration when first moving

I just bought an new 2006 Dodge Cummins about a month ago. I feel a vibration when I first press the accelerator to start moving. It goes away once I'm moving about 5 mph. Just wondering if this is normal and just part of the torque or should I have it checked out. It's done it since I've had it. I've got about 1,100 miles on it so far.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:14 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: Vibration when first moving

You have a MegaCab and I'm assuming a 2 piece driveshaft. Normally if you are getting a vib at that low of a speed and taking off, it's usually the driveline angle.

Either A - the angle at the carrier bearing needs to be adjsuted (most likely) or B - The angle of the pinion to d-shaft needs to be adusted (probably not).

Either way, it's as easy as having the dealer add a few shims, most likely to the carrier bearing that is supporting the 2 piece d-shaft.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:07 PM
bigmike
Professional

i had the same thing early on in my truck. it was actually a bad u-joint in front of the carrier bearing. either way it is an easy and free fix at the dealer.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Squib

Okay. I took my truck to a Dodge Dealer Shop. They said they could see the problem too so they replaced both driveshafts. Didn't seem to help so they called the Dodge "STAR" Team?? Anyway, the STAR team claims that the vibration is normal with the Mega Cab 2-piece driveshaft and shimming is not within warranty (and I guess might void the warranty). Said that with the shimming, if I hauled a heavy load it could do damage. What's everyone's take on this? Anybody else with a 2500 Mega Cab 4X4 have the same vibration?

Old 10-11-2006, 03:45 PM
VA Vince

Same problem here, Dealer said there are 2 bullitens out for the drive shaft and another for the rear? not sure if it was the rear or not, but there are 2 bullitens out. Mechanic said just keep driving it until I can bring it in and drop it off for 2 days.

Quick Reply: Vibration when first moving