Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which performance chip is best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006 | 12:39 PM
usafr
All Star
Default RE: Which performance chip is best?

I run the Bully Dog Tripple Dog, and it's awesome, the low setting has all the power that I want. I do like Drew's Smarty programmer though, simple b/c he can smoke like a freakin chimney, and mine won't.

Old 10-06-2006 | 12:51 PM
Drew
Professional

TST can smoke like a freight train as well. . .I'm gunna try and get some vids this weekend for everyones amusement

Old 10-06-2006 | 08:37 PM
zram2500

DANG. Gauges are in the mail, and next option was to order a box. I've still got 40k and 3 years on my 7/70k. Was really leaning toward the Edge EZ, plug and play and didn't think it would be traceable, if removed. Oh well, decisions...decisions. Quads and Banks may require splices or tapping, definately a problem for me. I was looking for the power, mileage and towing capabilities offered by the EZ or Quad on my 2002. Does the Smarty have a setting that would be comparable?

Old 10-06-2006 | 10:49 PM
Local Yokel
Professional

ORIGINAL: usafr

I run the Bully Dog Tripple Dog, and it's awesome, the low setting has all the power that I want. I do like Drew's Smarty programmer though, simple b/c he can smoke like a freakin chimney, and mine won't.
Mine will smoke in the towing setting, not bigtime, but it will smoke. Download the CrazyLarry program and watch the smoke ....

Old 10-07-2006 | 03:11 AM
cookie_monstr
Professional

ok...so lets say i want to take off the chip... can i get the stock comp cleaned out so that there wont b a trace? or is that only possible with only a few aftermarket chips?
i dont mind smoke...i want alot of safe power...what about that new hypertech. anyone know anything about that... i think they advertised somthing like a gain of over 200hp in this one diesel mag that i have.

Old 10-07-2006 | 10:08 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

The inline chips - QuadZilla, Edge, etc. a fairly straight forward and easy to install with little observable footprint (dont velcro it to the fuse box!). If I am correct the trace that they leave is usually in the fuel and turbo tables?

This isnt immediatley apparent with the usual scans.

The downloaders - BullyDog, BD power, Diablo, Superchips, etc. usually download the stock program from the and upload its own in its place.

Obviously then with a downloader there is more oportunity not only for error but for footprints as well. Some of the earlier models reset key cycles which would be a dead giveaway. Hmmmm, 2 key cycles with 40K on the ODO? I dont think so.....

As far as HP goes alot are now up to the "Adds 190HP" faze so they are comparable. As far as safe HP. Well if your lookin for an extra 200(safe) HP then unless you already have some serious mods (fullbuilt billet tranny, TQ converter at least) then your not gonna be using thopse extra 200 ponies for long.

Now, When I asked this question a while ago I got pretty much the same answers as above. I also was pointed towards the TST (Drew) but decided to go with the Bully Dog. Now I'm not complaining. Not in the least. The BD setup works great.

But.......

Now that I have the power I want more. And to get / use more I have to upgrade the tranny. No prob but I guess what I'm saying is it seems like the TST really gives you the best of both worlds. Good safe power (just like the others if you can restrauin yourself) and power you can grow into. Buy the parts and turn it up!

If your lookin for good power and dont plan on crankin er up to 500+RWHP then I would go with the QuadZilla adj. inline box. Good power and good MPG.

But If I had it to do over the TST is really tugin at my back pocket.

Either way though without upgradeing the drive train there is no such thing as 200 (safe) extra HP.

Keep any of them on the lower setting and youll have a blast. Crank it up and two things will happen:
1. Youll get hooked! (like me) and,
2. Itll be awesome untill somethin breaks.

Just my $0.02

Old 10-07-2006 | 11:33 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional

thats some great info... but i plan to build my tranny....im looking foward to proting and polishing the heads... but for now i just want to do the usual c-i-e... and by safe i mean that the chip wont mess anything in the engine management or anything of that sort... i know that with adding power i need to back up the stress its going to build. i also heard that some shops can erase footprints or traces of the chips have left from altering the systems. i wonder if there is anyway of me doing this? or if there are anyshops around houston that do that.

Old 10-08-2006 | 01:53 AM
usafr
All Star

The BD gives some really great power. I keep mine on the tow/economy (low) setting and it has all I want, and still gets decent fuel mileage. As long as I keep it around 60-65 mph I get about 22mpg, the problem is that i usually keep it around 75mph and get around 17 to 18mpg[sm=badbadbad.gif]. The crazy larry setting will add ALOT of power, but the truck will need some mods to be able to run it on a regular basis. For one, I know that the stock trans will definately slip. The low end setting on the upgrade programming adds a really big boost. All in all though, it's your preference, there are alot of choices and they are all fairly costly. If I had the money to burn, I would love to get the smarty or the tst and try it, but I can't convince the wife to let me spend $600. I'll make you a deal,,,, if you wanna buy the BD from me, I'll get the TST .

Old 10-08-2006 | 05:51 AM
htgriffith
Veteran

I all so am happy with the Triple Dog from BullyDog. It has internet up grade, You can switch programs on the fly and has lots more, I have ran Hypertech (diesel engine), Jet (gas engine) and BullyDog (Diesel engine), I can say I like the dog. Alott of truck owners around my home town are running and loving the Superchip programer, I choose the dog because of the number of power settings, Yes thier are alott of programers out on the market today, You will have to find the one you will be happy with. Oh, And as far as a trace being left on the ECM, I know for a fact the dog does not, HOW, My uncle is the service manager at the local dealer, He tried last week, I put the stock program back in it and whamm, no trace was left, Know all that was above my head, But he told me that no trace was left on my ECM..........

Old 10-08-2006 | 08:17 PM
zram2500

So for those that still have warranty issues, choices would be a Smarty, Edge EZ that will leave a footprint and whatelse? Most others tap the pump wire or raise red flags on a warranty issue? While mine is pretty much just a weekend ride, I'm looking for that EZ power level to increase responsiveness for towing and regular driving, and a push on the mileage side. I don't need extra smoke and hopefully can drive it sanely enough to maintain it's reliability and not burn up the trany. What's my best option in your opinions? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Which performance chip is best?