Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

'nother question for ya's

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:11 PM
dougxd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'nother question for ya's

So far, I'm super-pleased with the help you all have provided me.....as well as still very pleased with my decision to buy my 06 CTD. I'd like to ask for some clarification on a couple of items please......

Apparently, a few years back, there were extremely serious issues with injector failures caused by a corresponding failure of the lift pump. There are a ton of threads discussing the merits of dumping the stock fuel pump in favor of a couple of aftermarkets. This issue seems EXTREMELY important to pay attention to, but I'm a little confused about what year ranges these issues apply to.

In my mind, I can't help but thinking that after 6 or so years, Cummins/Bosch/DC have, for the most part, fixed these very serious problems................I've even read a couple of TSBs that are dated way back to 2001 or thereabout.

So, I'm gonna come right out and ask...............

What should I be leary of and keep a close eye out for and/or immediately replace *anything* due to current failure problems with my 2006 CTD? All too often, there are writeups and described problems with their associated resolutions, but no model year range information....which leaves noobs like me 1)confused and 2)in a state-of-panic.

I definately appreciate you all's help with this. As I learn, I'll "pay-it-forward" too.

PS - I joined TDR the other day....looking forward to it.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 'nother question for ya's

in 03 the VP44 pump that caused all the problems was droped for the CP3 pump. the CP3 is a good bit more reliable and tougher when it comes to lift pump failure. is there a problem, not any more. but there are still the same lift pump issues since the pump that was used then is the same pump that is used today, only in a different place for the case of your 06. 05.5 the lift pumps were moved from being mounted on the filter to being placed in the tank. this helped reduce ratteling the pump had to endure, however, the same carter pump is still being used, and is still dying.

is it necessary to change the pump out or put in an aftermarket pump. not realy. the CP3 is stout enough it can handle running without fuel, the engine will just die. if the pump does die, that would be a good time to change everything over at that point, or if you go 100hp over stock.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
dougxd

Drew......

Thanks for the info. It's definately appreciated!! You've calmed my nerves considerably since this morning. What's your take on the "dusting" issue that many were reporting in years past? Was that ever a "recognized" thing with DC, or just a "bad batch" of air boxes that couldn't seal properly?

By the way, it was *YOUR* TDR badge in your siggy that steered me their site. I, obviously, had never heard of the TDR before since I'm a noob. Again, I appreciate what everyone here does, as otherwise, folks like me would be in the dark about all things CTD.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Drew
Professional

the dusting issue. . .I never heard of such a thing. . . . . . . . .

Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 PM
dougxd

Dusting was apparently an issue a few years back whereby a bad seal in the airbox (filter to box seal) would allow very fine dust through and into the turbo housing. When dealers would detect the dusting of the turbo, they'd immediately invalidate the warranty claiming that DC doesn't warrant against dust and dirt damaging the engine.

Most folks would counter that by saying that if the seal in the airbox was bunk, that consitituted a failure of the product indirectly damaging other components. The dealers wouldn't budge on their position and neither would DC until they were taken to court and lost.

Since then I'm wondering how they've dealt with issues like these, but I think I've gotten my answer from other non-related issues that DC denies warranty for. It seems to me that DC is just chompin' at the bit to find a way out of our warranty obligations.

I'm certainly not saying Ford and/or Chevy don't try the same thing, but I thought I'd finally get away from that by buying into the whole CTD/Dodge family with the "bullet proof" Cummins. The engine truely appears to be that way.................it's just all the other Dodge components that seem to fail and then the dealers **** and moan and try to deny warranty claims.

I know I'm prematurely over-reacting here since I haven't *yet* had an issue, but I paid extra money for the DC 5500+ premium fancy-schmancy warranty thingy and I'm starting to think that it was a bad idea.

Oh well......we'll just have to see how the future rolls out with my new toy. I still dig this truck.......BIG TIME!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2006, 05:45 PM
ramtradxb
Professional

DougXD - from my own experience, and what I see from others here, a lot of the time it isn't so much DC that tries to worm out of the warranty, but the individual dealers. I drive twenty miles to a dealer instead of going to the one less than two miles away, because the local people waste no time telling me that this and that voids the warranty before I even have a chance to say what my issue is - while the dealer twenty miles away doesn't hesitate to cover things under warranty that could easily be said to be my fault.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Drew
Professional

before too long you'll be looking for ways to increase power

while I was running my stock filter I never noticed any dusting or particles in the intake. I not have a different filter on and occasionaly I'll pull it off and check it out. still nothing. I have plans on re-desinging the intake to remove atleast one of the 90 degree bends for a straighter flow of air to the turbo maybe this weekend I'll finaly get enough time to put my head under the hood and take some measurements and possably get some 4 inch stainless

Old 10-06-2006, 06:19 PM
dougxd

ORIGINAL: ramtradxb

DougXD - from my own experience, and what I see from others here, a lot of the time it isn't so much DC that tries to worm out of the warranty, but the individual dealers. I drive twenty miles to a dealer instead of going to the one less than two miles away, because the local people waste no time telling me that this and that voids the warranty before I even have a chance to say what my issue is - while the dealer twenty miles away doesn't hesitate to cover things under warranty that could easily be said to be my fault.

Trouble is.........around here anyway (Baltimore/D.C. area), there doesn't seem to be any dealers around here worth anything. Nobody around here wants to do the right thing, I guess, and support their customer base. Again, I haven't had a warranty issue yet, but everytime I get to chatting it up with the service guys, they all immediately rattle off the "it'll void your warranty" mantra.....the only thing missing is their hand in the air and shouting "Heil, ......"

I wish they'd at least behave like adults, but generally I get the nonsense above.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

take some measurements and possably get some 4 inch stainless

STACKS ?!?!?!?[:-]

Are you finally getting stacks ???

Old 10-08-2006, 03:15 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

I live in central Iowa amongst the corn, soy beans, and gravel roads so when I read about the dusting issue I was somewhat concerned.

It was a hot topic on another board some time ago. When this issue came up the dealers and DC were both looking to void the warranty due to the cost (anywhere from 2K up to new CTD).

The thread was started by a guy who said his warranty was voided because one of the first things he did was put an intake (K&N or the like) and both the service manager and DC told him that was the culprit. He had to shell out for the repairs and as evidenced in his thread was none too happy.

I had originally went with an aftermarket intake but wasn’t completely happy with it so I put the stock box back on and threw in a Proguard 7 OEM replacement filter. I didn’t see / feel a huge dif. but I do know it filters better and allows more air than the stock so I’m happy.

Also if anything does come up I can just drop in a DC filter and have no worries mate.

Quick Reply: 'nother question for ya's