Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Aero installed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:24 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Aero installed...

well it's in. 1st impression is the egt's take alot longer to drop, didnt get a chance to warm it up fully so i couldnt tell you how it feels on the low end.

more later.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:27 PM
usafr
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aero installed...

ugh oohhhh,, u know Steve, as I was razzing you I was saying to myself " I hope he doesn't install it and then not like it ". what about the sound though, is it better/worse? I went from an elcheapo to the aero, so for me, it was an improvement.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

well it's in. 1st impression is the egt's take alot longer to drop,
REALLY ???

Do they drop lower than they were before though ??

How about the sound, are you digging it ?

Old 10-12-2006, 09:00 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

the sounds is about the same as the magnaflow... having the mag at the end that would make sense. my objective by adding it was to increase the low end torque, I've always felt that by adding backpressure your adding low end torque. so having driven it a whole 1.5 miles, there is not much for me to say at this point. time will tell.

One way for me to tell if there is more low end is by the mileage, less torque, mileage drops, more torque, mileage goes up. seen this on 4 vehicles...

the egt's w/o the aero dropped real quick, 300 deg in under 1 minute. with the aero it's 2~2.5 minutes. stock, couldnt tell you, it rarely reached 300 during cool down. it would appear that it definately flows way better than stock based on the cooldown time...

Old 10-12-2006, 10:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Update: ok, now I have 25 more miles on it with the new setup... definately more torque, seems like less throttle to maintain speed. And EXACTLY what I thought would happen... bottom end goes up, top end goes down. I expected this, the question still remains, how does it perform on the top end now... still pretty strong, if I were to put a % on it, i'd guess a 10% swing top to bottom. what I also noticed was the boost no longer spools as quick, the peak looks to still be there. when I was beati... oops driving home I stomped on it to see what the max boost was and it easily hit 38 psi on the new guage (still owe you guys a pic on the install of the new guages on the dash). didnt see what the TST was reading, it may have been pulling it back as it's set for 40 psi.

So now I'll "try" to drive it like I have been the last week and see if the mileage is affected. (just filled up last night and got 14.9 mpg, more city than hiway)

anyways... time to go to work (home #2... DOH!)... hockey night so I better make good use of my *cough* "free time" *cough*

Old 10-12-2006, 11:35 PM
usafr
All Star

when I went with the aero, I quickly got back the lowend that I lost. Then I enabled the lowend setting on the BDTD, and whooooo nelly[sm=gears.gif] I had to turn the programmer all the way down to keep from breaking the tires loose everytime I took off.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:41 PM
mjh1019

Well i put mine on this afternoon and i have to say it sounds pretty good. The only thing i am missing now is the tip. It was being shipped directly from Aero factory in Calli... I have not driven it enought yet to figure what i have lost or gained but the weekend is near and that's usually when i "Drive it like i stole it!!!" I'll keep you guys updated. Oh, one more thing, i did notice a bit of cab drone i was hoping not to have..

Old 10-13-2006, 01:58 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I have no such cab drone. I had them mount it as far forward as possible, staying off the bend and it sounds a tad bit quieter which is good. I havent been on the freeway yet and wont until I hit the gym in the morning (5am) so the roads should be clear. as of now, from what I see, I like it and it's 1 step closer to being the way I want it. Right now my AFE is getting pretty plugged up so after about another 2 tanks (mileage check) I'll clean it and go from there. I MAY get a bigger filter, not sure how i'd fit it in there but it's a possiblity.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: mjh1019

Well i put mine on this afternoon...

..... i did notice a bit of cab drone i was hoping not to have..
Don't sweat it mjh, you'll get used to it. Right now your " Bat Ears " are tuned in and your listening / looking for problems. Eventually your ears will go back down and you'll be fine. I think you guy's really ARE gonna dig these turbines. I know I do.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:33 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I MAY get a bigger filter, not sure how i'd fit it in there
Sounds like a personal problem to me. Have you tried talking to your doctor?

Quick Reply: Aero installed...