Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

first user needs help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Willl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first user needs help

Ok I got a diesel engine right. Well I need some help with some things. You go to some gas stations and you see #1 diesel and #2 diesel the manual says to use #2 diesel for cold or warm weather so I use #2 diesel but at some gas stations all they have is one diesel fill up and the don't say weather or not it is #1 or #2 so do you think I should just assume that the diesel there is #2.

Also is it true that diesel fuel gells up in cold weather. I live in North Dakota so it gets very cold here. If I use #2 would it gell or perhaps this is only true if #1 is used. thank you for helping.

will

Old 10-14-2006, 12:29 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: first user needs help

In north dakota, both #1 and #2 will gel. You will need to put addatives in everytime you fill up to keep it from gelling.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:07 AM
Willl

What additive do you recommend and a very good question at what temparature should I start putting the additives in. Also perhaps a stupid question but some gas stations don't indicate what type the diesel is #1 or #2. Perhaps common knowledge but are they all #2.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:50 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Willl,

Myself i play it on the safe side even if it may not be needed so anytime it may get down to or below Zero I add PSD from the white jug. I would mix it the same as Drews brew 16 oz per 30 gallons of fuel. Now being in ND you get a bit colder then here in north IA I would think when it could be at or near -40 below zero then you may want to use 32 oz per 30 gallons of fuel.

Also in the winter time always carry several 32 oz bottles of RED PSD 911 in case your fuel does gel up as this will thaw it out. In the winter carry at least one extra fuel filter in case it is needed and tools if needed to change it.

If you have any other questions then ask our Master [sm=hail.gif] Drew [sm=hail.gif]

Old 10-15-2006, 12:03 AM
jakebrake
Champion

when I was in wyoming I carried one of those 2 millon candle power pistol grip spot lights, throws enough heat to warm up your filter housing. I also ran MMO as #1 has less lube in it.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Willl

PSD from the white jug. Where do you buy that from wal-mart. Tried to look for it on the web to read something about it but couldn't. Any other good brands to mention. Alright perhaps another common sense question but what does MMO mean? Thank you.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:40 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Marvel Mystery Oil. I'm not sure where these guys buy their PSD, I get mine from work.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Nelspruitdodger
Professional

both at wallmart

Old 12-20-2006, 02:44 AM
rshackleford

i am also in north dakota and am a fist time diesel owner. i grew up woth tractors and have driven lost of them at work but have some other cold weather questions. i have an 06 ram.

how long do i need to let this engine warm up? why?

for all season driving how long do i need to let this engine cool down?

i remember sitting for seemed like hourse in that 4430 and 4020 waiting for that little temp needle to bump up or bump down as much as dad said it needed to warm up or cool turbo.

thanks for the help.

also, i would suspect here in north dakota we don't need to worry about the stations sticking us with #1 in the middle of winter--it wouln't even pump. i have been told that most of the time it is a 50/50 blend. i guess an additive would be a good idea. i will be headed to napa tomorrow to at least get some 911.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

up in that area they do mix more #1 in with the #2 since the gell point of #1 is much lower than #2. PSD in the white bottle will help keep the diesel from gelling, but at the temps it gets up there you just cannot help it.

for warming up if it is 30-50F, let it idle for 30-60 seconds to get oil to the top end, then for the next 5 min do not use more than 50% throttle to allow the engine to warm up. at temps 0-30F let her site for at a minimum of 1-2 min, then again less than 50% throttle for the next 5 min of travel. once you go below 0F it is your discression to plug in the block heater, if you do plug it in let it run for about two or so hours before starting up the engine. The grid heater alone is capable of starting the engine to temps as low as -20F. however at that stage I would plug the thing in anyway.

at shut down it depends on how much you were towing. unloaded I normaly let it idle for about a minute to let the EGT's come down below 300F. loaded medium I would say a good 3 min idle would be good. loaded heavy you would need to let the engine idel around 5 min to let the turbo cool off so the oil wont cook on the bearings.

hope that helps some

Quick Reply: first user needs help