Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

new info on programmer usage detection

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:22 AM
usafr
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new info on programmer usage detection

I was talking online to an old friend of mine from Florida, who is also a mechanic for Dodge. Hes worked on many, many dodge trucks both gas and diesel. Anyways he gave me the lowdown on programmer usage and detection. It breaks down like this, if u dont admit it and they don't actually see the programmer or box, there is no way for them to tell that u ever had one. Someone mentioned in an earlier thread, I believe it was Steve, that the values are reset and this will make them question why. I asked this, and he told me that the ecm's in the dodge trucks tend to do this alot for no reason whatsoever. He also said that the electrical systems, mainly the ecm in the trucks with the cummins are somewhat junky,, he said that he has replaced alot of them. Anyways, it basicly comes down to this,,, if you DONT admit it,, they CANT prove that you had one. It doesn't leave "tracks" or "footprints" for them to find, regardless of what they say. Straight from the mouth of the man, he said that its just another way for them to try and void your warrant. I just thought I would pass this info along.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 AM
hiredgun
Rookie
Default RE: new info on programmer usage detection

Thanks and thats nice to know...... I guess I need to take my superchips decals off my rocker panels before I take it in.......lol

Old 10-18-2006, 01:53 AM
usafr
All Star

LOL, that reminds me. For about two or three weeks after I got my Bully Dog, I used some double sided tape and stuck the metal dog decal that comes with it right next to the the C on the quarter panel. It looked cool as sh*t. I figured I'd better lose it before something happened.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:08 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

nope, not this steve... however if someone wanted to be a real a-hole, read the memory space back and compare it to stock. all un-modded address should be FFh... unless the programmer re-writes that address as an FFh, you could see a trace of the program that was installed.

ask me how I know... test engineer here... (write test software and used to develop test hardware)

Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 AM
usafr
All Star

sorry about the misquote Steve. I asked him about that,, but apparently the techs dont go into that much depth. I'll agree with u that if you dig enough, you can find anything. This info is coming from a mechanic, hes just telling me what is checked for normally. It was interesting though the comment he made about the ecm resetting the values on its own, and how this is not a real strong arguing point for the dealer as far as wether or not u had the programmer. It still would come down to admitting wether or not u actually had one.

Quick Reply: new info on programmer usage detection