Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Gauge research continued

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gauge research continued

click here for some PTO's

here is a pic of the NV5600 that I have, the tranny on the top is the NV4500. you can see a plate with 6 bolts pretty well on the NV4500, this is where the PTO is mounted

Old 10-25-2006, 10:50 PM
she torques me
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys are great thread high-jackers.

Thanks for the input on the guages, with the mods I have selected do you think I will go above 100hp from stock? Cause if I do I want to do all the gauges now and not later. Of course as stated above I could just get the programmer now and monitor it that way.

Am I back to square one?

Old 10-26-2006, 02:44 AM
speakle
All Star

I have been wondering the same thing. Seems to me that if a monitor will take care of 4 different parameters it really seems the way to go. You are looking at what... $400 for 4? For gauges you are looking at $200 for the egt/boost guage (if you go the dual gauge route), 50 bux for the pillar mount. Then for 1 or 2 more you are looking ato about $100 each plus mounting. So you are at the same price about and 1 guage short of the monitor. Am I missing something? Are the monitors inaccurate? Do they look bad?

Old 10-26-2006, 05:56 AM
SpLaT
Captain

Wouldn't a "boost" gauge be considered more of an "idiot light" then anything useful? Either your turbo is working or it ain't, for those that have the silencer ring removed your gonna know if ya got boost or not!? A turbo is simply an air pump/mover only one moving part within a housing, I suppose if yer lucky enough a small piece of the blade breaks off and makes it way free of the turbo one might see a decrease in boost(on the "boost" gauge) but yer gonna also notice a decrease in power as well, if the turbo goes completely and you got 35" or 37" tires yer prob not even going to make up yer own driveway. Diesel racers up here don't consider boost gauge as tool where as EGT and fuel pressure are the informative gauges as to whats happening to the power? Am I right or wrong? I work around large industrial drivers like
3606/3306/3412 CATS and Whites/Whaukashaws that are turbo charge if the trubo goes you ain't got power.... we using as gauge to check if engine is working hard or not using manometers... my $0.02

Old 10-26-2006, 12:19 PM
she torques me

SpLat, I think you are correct for the most part. However, one useful thing the boost gauge can tell you is when you are operating on the vacuum side, in which case you can tailor your driving to increase fuel milage. You may also be able to measure your gains with a boost gauge when you start adding mods to the truck....I think.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Drew
Professional

the more boost you produce does not mean more power. lets say we have the exact same mods on our trucks, both 425 at the rear wheels at 40psi. I pull my turbo off, do a bit of work to the turbine houseing. now, at 35# I can make the same 425hp. it is all about being able to flow the air in and out while keeping the compressor and turbine in the optimum mapping range so you dont over-rev the turbo. also, if a piece of the compressor blade breaks off it will unballance the shaft and snap it from the resonance that is created.

diesel dragsters do ahve boost and EGT gages in the truck, but only use them when on the dyno and after the run to see how long to idle the engine to bring EGT's down. just as splat said though, on most industrial diesels there is no boost or EGT, if the turbo fails the engine dies.

now I hope I didnt throw much of a curve ball here with my first statement, but there is more to turbo's than just moveing air. these things spin anywhere from 5,000-100,000 rpm and anything over this 100K mark is pushing the limits of the efficiency mapping. I have seen turbo's spin to 150K before useing an optical tack pointing down on a pentagnal nut mounted on the first few threads on the shaft. it was pretty cool since this turbo was mounted on a go-kart

Old 10-26-2006, 03:55 PM
she torques me

Would it be a better idea for my application to buy the TST with the FASS right now and forget the rest of the mods leaving a stock truck with TST package? Or will I be better off in the long run working up to it like I originally planned?

Old 10-26-2006, 06:14 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Salute!

Maybe its because I work around large units, (I may be a little annal so many guages to look at [sm=helpout.gif]) we monitor engine performance via manifold pressure and tempatures, engine oil pressure/tempatures/levels and rpms and looking/feeling/listening. Manifold pressure and temps will tell you if the engine is working hard or not. (ought to have bought a ford J/K comes with boost gauge/trans temp in inst cluster but then ya'd need a guage or somethin to tell ya when the heads are about depart!!)

Somebody slap me for ever daring to think ford.....

Old 10-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Drew
Professional

well. . .it all depends on what you plan on doing with your truck. . .the TST box is a monster, and steve will say the same thing. . .turn it up and it feels like your being pushed by a freight train. the only thing I have found that I dont like about it is there needs to be a bit more low end fueling. once the RPM's come up and the boost starts kicking in you better be holding on though. since you tow on occasion turning the box past 3/2(75hp/120tq) while towing can damage the drive line under stock conditions. a new valve body/torque converter or a tougher clutch will help.

personaly I like analog gages, they respond quicker and your not watching a digital number, instead you learn where the marks are and can at a glance know whats going on. I only have two gages, Boost/EGT and that is all I need.

yes, an all in one module is nice, compact, and less expensive, but it is your call.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:40 PM
she torques me

Thanks Drew. YOu have me wondering if I really even need the Tranny temp gauge since my loads aren't all that heavy when I tow. Would you agree?

Quick Reply: Gauge research continued