Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

04 CTD HO Idle??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006 | 09:26 PM
ljpierce_ely
|
Veteran
Default 04 CTD HO Idle??

Ok, got a weird one for y'all.

This morning, after leaving work, I stopped at one of the local stop and robs for a quick cup of java (this store is about 10 miles from the prison). While one of my co-workers went inside, I was sitting in my hooptie reading the local propaganda sheet. All of a sudden, the idle increased ON ITS OWN from around 800 to 1000 RPM. My foot was nowhere near the accelerator pedal. This is the second time I've noticed it doing this and it's a little freaky.

The temperature gauge hadn't reached the normal 200 and was sitting around 170 deg. Also, the air temp this morning was in the low 20's.

If this is normal, someone want to tell me the purpose of it? If it isn't normal, can anyone tell me where to look for problems?

Old 10-29-2006 | 12:28 AM
troop
Rookie
Default RE: 04 CTD HO Idle??

ya its normal its to help with the warm up process and to keep the motor warm when ideling.

Old 10-29-2006 | 12:29 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

Mine does the same thing. I live in MN and when the mornings have been below freezing. It will Idle up to 1000 rpms on it own. One thing I noticed is it took a while for it to get there. After 5 min or so of idling at 800, it then went up to 1000.

It kind of freaked me out too the first time it happened. Then I went to the owners manual and found that it's suppose to do that.

Old 10-29-2006 | 12:32 PM
ljpierce_ely
|
Veteran

Ok, kewl, and thanks. I was beginning to think my truck was becoming a sentient being and threatening to run me over some day.

Quick Reply: 04 CTD HO Idle??