Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Newb Q's ('06)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:29 AM
Jeeptug
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Q's ('06)

Okay, I have been living with my new (to me) used 2006 Quad 4x4, which had 13k miles when I bought it a month ago. This is my first Dodge and my first diesel, and still getting to know it. I have some Questions/observations:

It idles rough on cold start (35deg), and smokes. I've searched on this topic, and I've seen it mentioned that the motor should "idle up" when cold, much like a FI gas engine does. Mine idles at 750, cold or hot. What rpm would be considered cold idle?

Again when cold...Key on, wait for little coil light to go off, start it, and it throws a code. If I wait for both the coil and the CEL light to start flashing, no code. This happens everytime if I don't wait for the engine light to start flashing. This contradicts what the manual says about cold starts. Code: P2609 per Autozone scan. Possibly related to first item?

It certainly doesn't have the low end punch that other '05's and '06's had when I was shopping around and test driving. From some of the posts, I've learned that a less restrictive exhaust will cause this. Previous owner installed a Banks Monster and SS tailpipe, and a Bank's drop-in airfilter. The truck is still pretty quick, gets up to 3200rpm pretty fast. Maybe the turbo lag on the stockers I drove gave me the impression that it pulled harder when the turbo finally spooled up. From what I've read I'm considering changing to the Aero, the wife doesn't like the drone of the Banks. Question: would it be worthwhile to change the muffler? And if so, which model?

At about 2.5k on acceleration, I can hear what sounds like to me a rattle that on a gas motor I would describe as wrist pin slop or piston slap. It's different than the normal deisel sound, faster frequency. Again, being new to diesels this may be normal, just want to be sure.

Will be soon towing a 12k 5th Wheel, what's a good towing rpm if I'm not in overdrive?

thanks for your patience!
Walt
2006 Laramie Quad 4x4

Old 11-04-2006, 05:28 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: Newb Q's ('06)

Hey Walt, welcome to df...

there is an idle up feature that is supposed to kick the idle up to 850, then 1k IIRC, there were a few threads on this in the past 10 days so you might want to scan back and see what it was about. Last winter when I had my truck in the 20's this feature did not work for me (didnt know about it then) but my truck still ran fine. with the open exhaust you will definately loose the low end torque. I did with mine on the exhaust and also on the intake installs. I 1st had the afe kit on with the pro gaurd 7 filter, massive 6" flange, 9" in length. lost about 1 mpg, then added the magnaflow straight thru and lost about another 1~1.5 mpg. the turbo spooled real quick but the low end torque was lost.

I added an ATS intake manifold which made a pretty good difference in the low end... brought alot back. recently I added the aero 4040 in front of the magnaflow, just off the turbo and that also brought back also more low end torque. so pretty much what i've learned is the more you flow, the lower you can expect your torque to be, the faster the turbo will spool up and the higher your upper end hp. there is a balance in there somewhere and I think I kinda found it with my afe having about 15k on it since it's last cleaning. according to afe, you should clean it when you can barely see the mesh screen. I figure I was about 75% there. when I cleaned it, mileage dropped about .5 confirming what I mentioned earlier. low end dropped off, top end picked up and mileage dropped.

Do a search for the merry christmas thread in this forum and follow that link in the thread to a spot where you can download the shop manual. it will help alot having it.

cant ad much to the towing question you have... I havent towed yet with my truck.

post some pics for us to see and if you want post in the roll call thread at the top of the CTD forum.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM
cracker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newb Q's ('06)

I am having the same rattle on mine but notice it mostly on decel. I really hear it when in tow/haul when the engine is under load. Talked to the dealer about it last week when I got the oil changed and hi idle enabled and they said to drop it off for a day and they would troubleshoot it. It sounds like a lifter rattle or injector to me but I am also pretty new to this diesel motor. The mechanic did admit he did not think it wa normal and he thinks its a motor noice not a trans or t/c making the noise. Let everyone know what I find out and please do the same. Glad to know I am not just hearing things!!!

Quick Reply: Newb Q's ('06)