Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Truck not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:47 AM
stewtina
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck not starting

My husbands truck is not starting. Ran twice for 5 seconds and died. It tries to turn over but nothing. Full tank of fuel,battery looks good, no check engine light and still it won't start. This is a 2006 2500 Mega Cab. Has anyone else had these problems???

Talk to me Drew...or any one else HHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2006, 05:14 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Truck not starting

turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump. you should be able to hear it. anyway you look at it, sounds like it's going to the dealer.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:33 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stewtina

My husbands truck is not starting. Ran twice for 5 seconds and died. It tries to turn over but nothing. Full tank of fuel,battery looks good, no check engine light and still it won't start. This is a 2006 2500 Mega Cab. Has anyone else had these problems???

Talk to me Drew...or any one else HHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You said it is TRYING to turn over. Is the engine turning and will not start? Or is it trying to turn over?
If the engine is turning round and round, It sounds like a fuel problem. If it is trying to turn but very slow or not at all, Then I would look at the voltage from the battery's or even try to jump it off. If it ran for 5 seconds before, then quit it could be a fuel filter or as Steve said the pump. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2006, 11:38 AM
stewtina
Veteran

i'm changing filter 2day will keep everyone posted

Old 11-05-2006, 01:34 PM
chukar
Rookie

I picked up my 2006 2500 QC a little over a month ago from the dealer. The key I left with works just fine, but one day I tried using the second key (should have done this at the dealership) and it does this same thing. I don't know if the chip in the key got too close to a big magnet or what. Don't live near the dealership so haven't taken it back to them yet, but does it do this with both keys? I know that now if I try to use the bad key it throws a code.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:51 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

IF it's cold enough where you are could be gelled fuel.

With the pump in the tank, I can never hear mine, plus I remember reading somewhere that the pump doesn't start until the engine starts rotating on the '06 models.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:30 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

In fact it has too so as to self prime the fuel filter once it has been changed. It did so when I changed mine a few weeks ago. BTW, I can hear my pump running in my 06 when I turn the key on!

Old 11-08-2006, 05:05 PM
stewtina
Veteran

I'm sorry it took so long to get back we had family in town. I did get it it was the factory alrm keyless entry. Somehow it was thinking it was on so it would not start. It did need the new fuel filter so i did that . I want to thak everyone for there help.

Quick Reply: Truck not starting