Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Home Brewed Bio Diesel Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Home Brewed Bio Diesel Anyone?

ORIGINAL: dfdtruckie

I spoke to a Ram dealer and he told me that if I would run bio or Veggie blendin my rig, it would void the warranty. Anyone verify that?
unless the dealership can point the finger directly atthe use of bio as what caused the problem. . .NO

Cummins certified these engines to run on B5. no more. the reason is there is not a regulation on the formulation of Bio since it can differ between batches due to different types of oil used. However I have heard of plenty of guys that run their BRAND NEW trucks STRAIGHT from the dealer floor to the nearest Bio station and fill up with B100 and dont look back.

Ive got two 55 gallon drums that I am going to use to make my own Bio. I just need a water heater, pump, and a source for my oil. the best oil to get is from chinese resturants since they dont do much frying and what they do fry doesnt turn the oil as acidic. Mickie D's with the amount of potatoes they fry up will turn the oil acidic very quick and that is hard on the pump and injectors.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:47 PM
aka_chewy
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link from the article I was talking about in Diesel Power Mag.

www.extremebiodiesel.com

Old 01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Bob,

I have a filling station in Santa Cruz (go figure LOL) that sells B99 for 3.15 a gallon. I have used it off and on in my 06 CTD with zero trouble. I do plan the change my Fuel Filter every 7,500 to 10,000 miles or so, just to be safe. I have also gone back and forth between B99 and #2 with Drews Brew. The 3.15 price is very steep, but I would rather an individual gets the dough than Chevron or Shell.

I was looking into getting my own Bio Processing deal, but the problem here is a lack of raw materials. Most of the resturants around me are now treating their used grease like gold. There a couple of companies that go around and pay the resturants for the Grease and I can't compete with that. It reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Homer is being Chased by groundskeeper willie after stealing the grease from bart's school. "That's my retirement Grease! Grrrrrrrrrrr!" LOL.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:48 PM
dfdtruckie

Anyone live in the Denver area? I've been making it for my TDI VW. I'm still looking for a 2500 to buy. Only thing is during the really cold days(below freezing) I use 50/50 pump diesel and bio.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:00 PM
dfdtruckie

ORIGINAL: aka_chewy

Here is a link from the article I was talking about in Diesel Power Mag.

www.extremebiodiesel.com
Looks like they sell good stuff but $$$$$. Think "Harbor Freight" or some other hardware store. 2 electric pums, 3 filters, 2 tanks(good rubber trash cans) for "dirty oil and clean oil", and add chemicals. Check online, there are a couple differentways and chemicalsto do it.<1.00 a gallon.Survailence cameras around your house so that you can stay on the lookout for Pres. Bush's buddies when they show up asking why you are taking $$$$ out of their pockets.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:11 PM
chouseal
Veteran

Survailence cameras around your house so that you can stay on the lookout for Pres. Bush's buddies when they show up asking why you are taking $$$$ out of their pockets.
Screw the bastages. That goes for both sides of the aisle.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:40 PM
blondeguy08
Professional

i have burned several hundred gallons in the past few months...zero problems.....smells better ... I figured out a way i can make it for just .15$ a gallon...

Old 10-12-2007, 05:07 PM
chouseal
Veteran

I figured out a way i can make it for just .15$ a gallon...
Meanwhile, everyone's hearts stop beating and lungs stop functioning while we anticipate your in-depth explanation of how you make bio-d for 15 cents/gal. Plans, specifications, sources, costs...

Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Meanwhile, everyone's hearts stop beating and lungs stop functioning while we anticipate your in-depth explanation of how you make bio-d for 15 cents/gal. Plans, specifications, sources, costs...
Yeah the methanol and lye cost more than 15 cents a gallon.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:50 PM
miknwv
Veteran

Ok here are my plans for making biodiesel out of WVO, please someone tell me if they see a flaw in these plans..

Fill my truck a little over halfway with regular diesel fuel. Go get about a 20 gallon container of WVO from a local restaurant and take it to my "refinery" (LOL). Put 7 layers of wire screen on the top of an open barrel and dump it through, then drain out the bottom into another container. From there, just pump it into my truck til it's full. Should get about a B50 outta that, right?

Quick Reply: Home Brewed Bio Diesel Anyone?