Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

WILL NOT START ANYMORE

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WILL NOT START ANYMORE

to tell you the truith I realy dont know. . .I would suspect it would be the same as installing some aftermarket injectors, on all the time.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

My VP44 is original and has 161k on it. I am expecting it to go out any time now and want to be ready for when it dies. I know of only 2 people that got more than 200k on an original vp44.
Why do you think your VP is about to go? Have you ever changed your lift pump?

Old 11-21-2006, 04:03 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lift pump went out 13 months ago. I have since put over 20k miles on the truck with no VP44 problems. the old lift pump died while going down I-75. It was like turning the key off. I assume that this sudden death of the lift pump saved my VP44, but you never know.

About a month later the in-tank lift pump that they put in my truck started blowing fuses. Again, it was like you turned the key off. It just blew the fuse and died, no indication before hand. The pump in there now has been working and so far no problems. I am going to put a FASS on the truck as a winter project.

My truck has 160k miles on it and it is really hard to tell what the average life of a VP44 is. Most of them die because of the lift pump failure and not because the VP44 just plain wore out. I plan on doing a lot of traveling in 2007 with my horses. Breaking down on the interstate is not fun when you also have horses to deal with. It isn't a simple tow truck ride to the closest dealership. So I'd like to replace it, before it goes out but not too soon before it goes out. If I can get another 100k miles on it, then why change it?

Most of the people that I travel with have Ford F-450's. They keep trying to tell me to sell my POS Dodge and get a Ford. No thanks the Dodge is paid for. Most of them are $40k-$50k in debt, not me. I keep telling them that I'll still have my Dodge when they are on their 3rd or forth F-450. I really like smoking them going up really steep hils. I can beat them to the top everytime and 90% of the time I'm still in 6th gear.

Quick Reply: WILL NOT START ANYMORE