Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First real roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:07 AM
ga_noplugs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First real roadtrip

Needed to go to a meeting at work and decided to drive to Raliegh-Durham instead of fly.

Over my 850 mile trip I got an average of 18.3 miles ger gallon (Hand calculated) and I drove 70-75 miles per hour the whole way.

I had something odd happen on my way back. As I was getting closer to Georgia my mileage started to go down. I lost about 1 mpg (watching the overhead but it was pretty accurate) over a 200 mile stretch. The only things I can think that affected my mileage are
1. I topped off the tank a bit earlier (~18 gallons) (different fuel?)
2. It started getting colder as I got closer , about 25 degrees between when I started in NC and when I got to Atlanta.

Which one is more likely and can you think of anything else that could have caused it?

My truck seems to run a lot smoother since the drive too. I think the drive did her good.

One really cool thing, I get reimbursed mileage for the trip and its gonna be enough to get the mount, Pyro guage and half my mud flaps.. [sm=happy046.gif]

Old 11-18-2006, 03:12 AM
Dodge This
Professional
Default RE: First real roadtrip

Maybe a slight incline. that might do it. I know when I go over 70mph my MGP drops. Just a few ideas

Old 11-18-2006, 09:10 AM
ramspeed
Rookie

If you were going down I 85 you can expect the milage to drop,not steep but,alot of up and down. will be doing a trip next week that goes thur western VA...middle TN...and western KY....now that the truck has 18,000 on the clock it should do better along with the "BREW" and keeping it around 2000 rpm.....let you know next week.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:55 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

If you bought fuel in SC that could be your issue, fuel quality around here is not consistant. I live near Greenville, SC and I-85 between there and GA is Up and down a bunch. In that stretch if I run 65 my mileage holds but 70 + and it slowly drops, 75+ it goes down like a lead ballon.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Local Yokel
Professional

Im leaving for Atlanta on Wednesday and will be hand calculating my mileage. My overhead reads 24-25 at 70mph so im curious just how far off it is ...

Old 11-18-2006, 04:10 PM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

If you bought fuel in SC that could be your issue, fuel quality around here is not consistant. I live near Greenville, SC and I-85 between there and GA is Up and down a bunch. In that stretch if I run 65 my mileage holds but 70 + and it slowly drops, 75+ it goes down like a lead ballon.

Well, I did top off in SC. The rest I either got in GA or NC..

I'm skeptical about it being the "Hills" as I took the same route (85) to NC and back so I basically had the same hills. I also traveled the same speed (pretty much).

I think I'll go with the fuel idea but let me know what you all experience.

Quick Reply: First real roadtrip