Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Mmmmm - Block Heater is GOoooood!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mmmmm - Block Heater is GOoooood!

[quote][quote:

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

just occured to me... 700 watt block heater... running for 2 hours, could get pricey

Probably not much different than falling asleep with your TV on./quote]

More like running the microwave for 2 hours.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:50 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

microwave is 1100+ watts... just a tad more

Old 11-29-2006, 12:47 AM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

Gotta be honest with ya bro....... Binghamscum is NY state's dumping ground for the welfare recipients. It's horrible in the actual city, and surrounding areas. Too many do-rags, puffy coats. Not enough Kramers.....lol.

I am in Endicott. The birthplace of IBM. This area was huge in it's day. Now it's turning into a rundown, cesspool of criminals.

It sickens me.
I hear ya brother!

Over by Albany it's gotten the same way. Bunch of little wanna be gangsta POS's. Said I'd never move back there after I saw the metal detectors and police in my old HS. Friggin shame.

God forbid the rest of the country elects that idiot Hilary into a higher office.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:58 AM
Mayfair
Legend

The area that I live in in Philly ( Mayfair ) is holding it's own, but trouble is lurking. I honestly think that white trash has climbed to the top rung of the cespool. I don't get it. Theyat one time had it all, and CHOSE to give it up for laziness and crime.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:22 PM
cumminalong

Well, the test was kinda pointless last night; the temp was in the 60's. Go figure.

But, I did plug it in for only one hour. The temp gauge, prior to starting was between the the 140 and normal mark. It actually fell back down to 140 in the 5 minutes it was idling.

Not really an accurate test, because of the air temp last night, but I do think that it will warm up more in that 2 hr period than in the 1 hour I had it last night.

Here is something I was thinking though.....

The heater is heating the coolant, correct? If so, then what is circulating the coolant, other than the natural heating / cooling / convection process. I mean the thermostat is closed and the water pump is not running. So is there something else, or is it just heating in that one spot?

Hmmmmmmm?

Old 11-29-2006, 12:28 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

Voltage = Pressure. Its what pushes the amps through the resistance. Therefor with twice the pressure it is twice as easy to push the same amps through the same resistance. (or something like that)
Here was a way it was kinda explained to me. It may make it very clear to everyone here. If it's remotely correct.

Voltage is like horsepower. Real impressive to see the numbers, but not the real workhorse.

Amperage is like torque. This is what can handle the load.

Take a ricer. It may make 400 HP, but it doesn't have any torque to move anything under a load. That would be Voltage.

Now, take a diesel. May not have the most HP in the world, but with the torque it has it can move damn near anything. That would be Amperage.

Also, look at getting electricuted. Voltage isn't waht kills you, amperage is. A 12 volt car battery will kill you faster than a 120 volt household current.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:01 PM
chukar
Rookie

Well I forgot to get the extension cord out last night. Then it turned to 14 below zero. The old record was 1 degree below back in 1957. Needless to say, I didn't even try starting the CTD this morning. Decided to run the big 4-wheeler (Toyota) this morning instead.

Someone on here said that plugging in is required below -10 degrees? What happens if you don't? I suppose with the cost of repairing a diesel a guy wouldn't want to find out anyway.

Did get over 20mpg the other day on a 300 mile round trip. The weather kept speed under 60mph (most of the time under 40mph), that probably could have had something to do with it.

2006 2500 CTD, 6spd man, all stock except for the spiked tires for this time of year.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

A 12 volt car battery will kill you faster than a 120 volt household current.
It WILL?? I didn't know that !!

As far as your heating thing, the heater as it was explained to me is in the block of your engine. No, the coolant isn't moving anywhere, so that is why I thought that once it reaches it's temperature, that's all it's ever going to be. If it reaches that temperature in an hour, leaving it plugged in for two hours isn't going to change it a bit.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:13 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

A 12 volt car battery will kill you faster than a 120 volt household current.
It WILL?? I didn't know that !!
Have you ever accidentally dropped a wrench and had it touch the terminals. I'll melt that bad boy quicker than all heck. Reason for that is that it can push 600 - 1000 amps, whereas your normal household current is only pushing 10, 15, max 30 amps on a garage circuit.

Now if that amperage was cranked up to the same level, that 120 would fry you in a heartbeat.

I had a soldier when I was still a DS sit up against a metal building that had a bad ground and got tagged by 220 volts at 60 amps. It entered the back of his head and blew out at his heal; fried everything in between. We were doing CPR / breathing for 30 minutes before a helicopter arrived, but the docs told us he was toast the instant that hit him.

High voltage, low amperage is like static electricity. Quick zap and done.

Low volts, high amperage is like an electic stove. Heats things up and keeps it there.

High volts, high amperage is like being hit with a constant lightning bolt. You're done.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:19 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever accidentally dropped a wrench and had it touch the terminals.
Only once!!...

Quick Reply: Mmmmm - Block Heater is GOoooood!