Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Types of Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:19 PM
chukar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Types of Oil

I know that this question has been addressed multiple times over the course of the DF, but I still haven't figured out how to seach old topics.

From what I know of synthetic oils in gassers, it is not recommended that once you start using it you go back to petro based kinds. Is this the same for diesels?

There seems to be no forum loyalty to one specific type of oil for everyone's CTD, but is there an advantage of some over others? I've never owned a diesel and back on the ranch all of the oil came from 55-gal drums. Now I got to buy it at the store and am slightly confused. For the wife's car and all my previous gas trucks before we have just gone to Shuck's/Kragen/Checkers what ever they are elsewhere, and bought the stuff on sale at the recommended grade for each vehicle.

Now the CTD has 10k and some change on it, time for a little PM. Was at Costco last weekend and happened onto a case of Delo-400, which I know a lot of guys run in diesels, for $48. This comes to $1.50/gal less than the Wal-Mart or any other place I can find it. So at least for two oil changes this is what I plan on using unless someone here steers me to something better. I also picked up a Fram oil filter for the service, but am second guessing myself since everyone here orders from this geno guy with fleetguard? Since I've already got the one, you fella's think it will be fine to use for this service then maybe I can get some from geno or the dealership.

I have always serviced all my gas rigs by myself and/or at my father-in-laws shop, but now that is 220 miles away so not so practical anymore, so I think doing routine maintenance on the CTD shouldn't be a problem. However, would hate to dink something up on this truck. It is just flat expensive to replace it.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Also since I don't know how to seacrh old posts, yet, could Steve or someone let me in on that website where you put your engine serial number in and they tell you what to do when. I saw it a couple of days ago, but didn't write it down. I have downloaded the manual from the merry christmas thread and put that on CD (didn't have 10,000 pieces of paper or enough toner to print it out), but still learning on this thing.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:44 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Types of Oil

Go to "Search" at top of forum page and click on it. Type in subject and click "Ok" and you're on the way! From what I understand, the "Dodge" oil filters are remanufactured Fleetguards anyway. Fram filters for the CTD have a really bad reputation so ya might want to stay away from them. The Delo seems to be fairly popular also but I'm sure somebody else will chime in on that.BTW, Welcome!

Old 11-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I am no expert here, but I'll tell you what I use.

I'm using Rotella T oil only because that's all that was ever used in my truck. I don't know how good, bad, or whatever it is, but I DO know that it stinks to the high heavens. As far as filters go, I am using the Fleetguard filters from Geno's based on recomendations from everyone here. Prior to comming here, I'd use whatever I could get my hands on, and I'm sure at one time or another there was probably a Fram in there, but I dunno. Proir to comming here, I thought all oil filters were pretty much the same. I've since learned that Frams have a bad rap, so now I stay away from them.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:26 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

What ever you do, Do Not Used Fram oil filters in your truck that is unless you want to buy a new engine. Also if your truck is under warranty you only want to use Dodge and Cummins approved oil and fuel filters on your engine. Delo 400 and Rotella T are both good dino oils but Synthetic oils are much better. As I see it when it comes to oil you get what you pay for and cheap oil is not the way to go with a CTD. I see this as one reason why so many people have oil related problems with their cars and trucks. Cheap oil does not always have the right amount of detergents and other goodies in them.

In fact many big fleet trucking companies are now using Synthetic oil as it helps reduce the wear in the engine and increase engine life. If you want to use Synthetic oil the best 3 are Amsoil, Red Line and Royal Purple.

I see you live in Eastern Oregon (I lived in Madras for a short time) and being it does get cold over there you may want to start using 5w40 oil in your truck when the temps get at below 10 degrees above zero at night unless you will have it plugged in when not in use at home and work. I know many say you can use 15w40 year round but in my 2006 owners manual it show to only use 15w40 down to zero and at temps any lower to use Synthetic 5w40.

Too be safe if it will get at or below 10 degrees in between oil changes then I use 5w40 like I did on my last oil change. IIR, Drew our Ace mechanic said not to use 15w40 below 10 degrees above zero, as it will cause score marks on the bearings. We all know if that happens it will cause problem later on in the life of the engine.

Good Luck.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
chukar
Rookie

So does switching from synthetic and back to dino have a negative effect? Last night, -14 blow zero. Doesn't sound like I should put the Delo in until spring. Where does a guy get some 5w-40 you speak of?

I'll plan on leaving the fram oil and fuel filters in the box to return. Maybe I'll just take it to the dealership this time, but hate to pay them for something I should be able to do on my own. Anyone just bought filters from a dealership? That would solve the supply issue for now.

Are the Fleetguard filters from genos Dodge and Cummins approved? Only 10k on the truck so warranty will be a factor for quite some time.

Thanks,

Old 11-29-2006, 09:22 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

You can get 5w40 Rotella T dino Synthetic at Wall Mart. This is what I have in mine until spring then I will switch full time to Amsoil HDD 5w30 year round. If you felt the need to go back to dino oil it would be Ok to do so in the springtime.

Yes the filters from Genos are Cummins/Dodge approved as they are Fleet Guard brand and Cummins owns them. It is much cheaper to buy filters from Genos then from the dealership. The dealer wants between $45-55 for a fuel filer that you can get for $14.95 at Genos and the Stratapore oil is only $10.95. FYI, The Mopar filters are re-branded Fleet Guard filters and yet cost more. Just buy the 4-2-1 pack and save a few extra $$

I pay the dealer to install my oil and filter this way I can prove I have had the oil changed if it was ever needed for proof of a warranty claim. Heck they only charge me $12.00 and I trust them more then someone at Wall Mart. Being yours is a 2006 make sure they grease the front driveline U joint and do not let them tell you it does not have one. Drew posted photos at this URL: https://dodgeforum.com/m_487238/tm.htm BTW, Have you read the FAQ at the top of this forum as there is a lot of good info in it.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:44 PM
chukar
Rookie

Thanks, I read that post from Drew. Will probably just change it myself after the next time I have a chance to get the right oil. Think I'll hold onto the Delo until spring. Problem is the nearest Wal-Mart is over 130 miles. Have to check around town to see if anyone carries that Rotella T first.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:31 AM
duneschick
Professional

OK- I bought my truck last February..... New to the winter stuff basically. So what oil should I use if I plug the truck in on occasion at night, but not at work and temps are (this week) 4 degrees last night, 5 degrees tonight and our high is in the 20's. Next couple days it should be 30's as high and low 20's at night. It's a 2001 Dodge. If I run synthetic now can I go back to regular (crappy) oil later? Or do I have to run goooood stuff forever? Also I read in another forum briefly about oil dropping and gas mileage crappy! This is happening to me. 2 mileage drop in one week and can watch 1/8 of a tank drop hourly it seems. I work in a office so I don't drive it alot.... only weekends and days off. Still shouldn't cost me $35 bucks everyday and a half it seems like lately...

Old 11-30-2006, 07:09 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

We are now on winter mixed fuel so you can lose 2 mpg as it is a mix of #1 and #2 and #1 has less BTU's. Look in your the owners manual (if you don't have one ask Cummins or Dodge) to see what oil they want in yours for the winter time. IIR Drew said to only use15w40 to to 10 above zero and any lower go to a lighter oil. I'm not sure if you can use 10w30 in your truck so if you can use it as it would be better then the 15w40 at colder temps.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I am no expert here, but I'll tell you what I use.

I'm using Rotella T oil only because that's all that was ever used in my truck. I don't know how good, bad, or whatever it is, but I DO know that it stinks to the high heavens. As far as filters go, I am using the Fleetguard filters from Geno's based on recomendations from everyone here. Prior to comming here, I'd use whatever I could get my hands on, and I'm sure at one time or another there was probably a Fram in there, but I dunno. Proir to comming here, I thought all oil filters were pretty much the same. I've since learned that Frams have a bad rap, so now I stay away from them.

Ahhh BS! Come on tell him the real reason you use Rotella...

...its cause he likes da smell!

Quick Reply: Types of Oil