Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Uh oh

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006 | 04:51 PM
MrSlug
|
Veteran
Default Uh oh

Went out to start my new 06 CTD this am (after it had been plugged in for 2 hours) and I was greated with CEL that stayed on while driving. Its a soild CEL and not a blinking one. I guess the blinking ones are the stop your motor and have it towed. Anyway, dropped it off at Dodge to have them check the code and give me a heads up. Sucky thing is they only have like 3 Diesel mechanics and they are backed up due to the Holiday! DOH!

Will post again when Dodge lets me know why the CEL is complaining about. Sigh, on a virgin Diesel with only 1200 miles on it.

Old 11-29-2006 | 05:00 PM
ramtradxb
Professional
Default RE: Uh oh

Well, hopefully it's what they tell me is common with the '06's - that there's an error in the program and all they have to do (besides clearing the error) is to re-flash your computer and be done with it. Don't know if you read my earlier post on this, but in addition to the correction of the error, I now have smoother shifts and better mileage from this...so let's hope you do too!

Old 11-29-2006 | 05:06 PM
ramtradxb
Professional

Now would also be a good time to have them reset the computer for the delayed shut off, and high idle, if you want either of these...

Old 11-29-2006 | 05:23 PM
MrSlug
|
Veteran

Ahhh thanks for the reminder!

One thing I did like was I got to go to an "express" service lane. I guess if you purchase a Viper, SRT-10, SRT-8 or a Cummins you get your own lane for service. Ain't dat special.

Old 11-29-2006 | 07:42 PM
chukar
Rookie

Hopefully the express lane is just because they cost so dang much, not because it is for frequent visitors like the airlines do for special people that fly all the time.

There was a post or part of one, I think by Drew, where you hold one button on the overhead down while turning the key on and off a couple of times and it tells you what code is making the CEL come on. Then there is a website, also found on the DF that lists all of the codes. The day after I bought mine the stupid light came on, luckily it wasn't life threatening and after 5 successful starts it went away all by itself.

Old 11-29-2006 | 08:47 PM
gtxpooch
All Star

More than likely, the code is for the "Bat temp sensor out of parameters" or something like that. Get it reflashed and your Malfunction Indicator Light(CEL) will go out and not come back. Apparently there have been lots of problems with code. Course, ya never know...

Old 11-29-2006 | 08:49 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: gtxpooch

"Bat temp sensor out of parameters" or something like that.
Jiminey Crickets ... did the signal look like THIS ....

Old 11-30-2006 | 01:48 AM
ARMOUR
Rookie

Delayed shut-off?? Is that like a turbo-timer??

Old 11-30-2006 | 02:22 AM
MrSlug
|
Veteran

Well here is something you don't hear every day...

I am very pleased with the service I received at Dodge today....

The CEL was due to a bad Ambient Temp Sensor. Eventhough they were very busy, they have my truck diagnosed and fixed within a 2 hour timeframe (with no appointment).

They also do full service diesel oil changes for 49.95 =). But, I still think I am going to do them myself. I want to greasy. Maybe my wife can get greasy with me. Mmmmmmm.

Old 11-30-2006 | 03:04 AM
chukar
Rookie

I bet Mayfair has a pic for that!

By the way, where do you come up with some of these pics anyway (Mayfair)?