Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CB Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CB Suggestions

[/quote]

that's not a cb radio and it's also illegal for you to operate on cb channels with it[8D]. But I wont tell if you don't tell
[/quote]

There was some static in your last post Jake....what did you say?

LOL.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:37 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might have to adjust your squelch

Old 12-01-2006, 04:19 AM
Ralph78
Professional

Cobra 29 NWST, it's a fairly large unit, so I mounted it on the Cup holder "swing down". I don't use the cup holder anyway because I need to lean up and to the right to grab my Pepsi One. I always run with the center seat-back in the down position and use it as a storage bin and table. I mounted a cup holder with "Velcro" to the top right side and use that instead. I just need to be carefull not to open the lid with a full can in the holder. I use a Wilson 1000 base load antenna right over dome light, the antenna wire comes in at the dome light position, and is totally hidden behind the trim.

Ralph

Old 12-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: RobertDunn

as for Gain, essentially it increases or decreses the range that your CB will pick up/transmit. like a "Power" setting. I would recommend this in leu of a Squelch or other dohicky, on the radio.
Yeah, that's waht it said in the book. RF Gain was for increasing / decreasing the range. Iwas like, "why the heck would you DECREASE your range" so I turned it all the way up. I too have a squelch ****, and I was using that to kinda fine tune.

Your saying that I should be using the RF for fin tuning and NOT the squelch? What do i use the squlech for then?

Old 12-01-2006, 04:47 PM
RobertDunn
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: RobertDunn

as for Gain, essentially it increases or decreses the range that your CB will pick up/transmit. like a "Power" setting. I would recommend this in leu of a Squelch or other dohicky, on the radio.
Yeah, that's waht it said in the book. RF Gain was for increasing / decreasing the range. Iwas like, "why the heck would you DECREASE your range" so I turned it all the way up. I too have a squelch ****, and I was using that to kinda fine tune.

Your saying that I should be using the RF for fin tuning and NOT the squelch? What do i use the squlech for then?
Nope, reverse it, use the RF for figuring out how far out you want to listen ideally, and then set the squelch to eliminate the standard background noise (like the low end static) turning the Gain down becomes effective in cities. I don't know if you've ever driven through Chicago, but I tend to turn my CB off unless I'm asking for directions or something. there is simply way too much chatter, background noise, (kids) to sort out anything worthwhile

Old 12-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Mayfair
Legend

mmmmmmm .... I still don't get it. How am I supposed to know how far away I want to be able to listen? If you have noise, isn't that what the squelch is for?

Old 12-01-2006, 11:06 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: chukar

Of those who have CB's or those who want one, what are your recommendations for brand/model and such? Also, I've got an 06 with manual trans, doesn't look like too many places to mount one that will be out of the way enough to shift, but convenient enough to access the unit when desired. I would also like to install a brake controller and think that should be more accessible than the CB seeing as how it is a little more important to get to in a pinch.

Thanks
I'm in the same boat as you. I mounted my brake controller just forward of the 4x4 shifter under the center stack. I am still thinking on where to mount the CB (Cobra 19), then there is the antenna to think of, I don't want antenna wire chaffing my paint. I am thinking of mounting the radio next to the 4x4 shifter closer to the drivers seat. If you figure out a good solution post it, and I'll do the same.

Mayfair, go half way on the RF Gain, then use squelch to trim out the noise. If you get in a really noisey area and the squelch won't cut it then turn down the gain.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:54 PM
chukar
Rookie

I thought about putting a CB there, in front of the 4X shifter, but then again I don't know where the brake controller would go. If I put it to the left of the 4X shifter there won't be any leg room.

Guess I better get a CB first before I worry about where I am going to put it.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:54 PM
donnie
Professional

FWIW, I turn the RF Gain, and the mic. gain all the way up and adjust the squelch to kill the background noise.
Especially when running in town.
Too much background noise and skip otherwise

Quick Reply: CB Suggestions